A function as a Fourier series

In summary, the conversation discusses a P.D.E. homework problem where the goal is to find the variable f(sub n) by setting a given function equal to a series. The speaker shares their attempt at solving the problem by writing out the series, taking the derivative, and setting x=0, but encountered an unequal statement. They ask for advice on how to approach the problem and the suggestion is to exploit the orthogonality of sine functions.
pinkflahippo
I'm working on a P.D.E. homework problem and the one part of it my professor gave us a function and wants us to set it equal to a given series and find the variable. Specifically, find f(sub n) in

x-x[tex]^{2}[/tex]=[tex]\sum[/tex] (from n=1 to [tex]\infty[/tex]) f(sub n) sin(n[tex]\pi[/tex]x)

I'm not sure exactly how to do this. I tried writing out the series, then taking the derivative of both sides and setting x=0 (then repeat process) and trying to find a pattern, but I ended up getting an unequal statement. My attempt there was hoping that something would zero out and I could see how the f is changing from f(sub 0) to f(sub 1) to f(sub 2)... I guess my question is where my logic is wrong and how I should begin the problem instead. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Exploit the orthogonality of sine functions.

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is named after French mathematician Joseph Fourier and is commonly used in signal processing, statistics, and other fields of science.

2. What is the purpose of using a Fourier series?

The purpose of using a Fourier series is to simplify the representation of a periodic function. By breaking down a complex function into simpler components, it becomes easier to analyze and manipulate mathematically.

3. How is a function expressed as a Fourier series?

A function can be expressed as a Fourier series by calculating its Fourier coefficients, which represent the amplitudes of the sine and cosine terms in the series. These coefficients are then used to construct the series, which is a sum of these terms with different frequencies and amplitudes.

4. Is a Fourier series an exact representation of a function?

No, a Fourier series is not an exact representation of a function. It is an approximation, with the accuracy increasing as more terms are included in the series. However, for many practical applications, a few terms are enough to provide a good approximation of the original function.

5. What are some real-world applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have many real-world applications, including signal processing, image and sound compression, data analysis, and solving differential equations. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze periodic phenomena.