1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A function as a Fourier series

1. Sep 5, 2009 #1
    I'm working on a P.D.E. homework problem and the one part of it my professor gave us a function and wants us to set it equal to a given series and find the variable. Specifically, find f(sub n) in

x-x[tex]^{2}[/tex]=[tex]\sum[/tex] (from n=1 to [tex]\infty[/tex]) f(sub n) sin(n[tex]\pi[/tex]x)

I'm not sure exactly how to do this. I tried writing out the series, then taking the derivative of both sides and setting x=0 (then repeat process) and trying to find a pattern, but I ended up getting an unequal statement. My attempt there was hoping that something would zero out and I could see how the f is changing from f(sub 0) to f(sub 1) to f(sub 2)... I guess my question is where my logic is wrong and how I should begin the problem instead. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2009 #2
    Exploit the orthogonality of sine functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook