1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A functional analysis problem

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1
    A functional analysis' problem

I hope this is the right place to submit this post.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]A[/itex] be a symmetric operator, [itex]A\supseteq B[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{R}_{A+\imath I}=\mathcal{R}_{B+\imath I}[/itex] (where [itex]\mathcal{R}[/itex] means the range of the operator). Show that [itex]A=B[/itex].

2. The attempt at a solution
    If [itex]A[/itex] is symmetric, then [itex]A\subseteq A^*[/itex], where [itex]A^*[/itex] is the adjoint of [itex]A[/itex], and from [itex]A\supseteq B[/itex] one can deduce that also [itex]B[/itex] is symmetric. The definition domains of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are dense in [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex] ([itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex] an Hilbert space), so [itex]\mathcal{N}_{(A+\imath I)^*}=(\mathcal{R}_{A+\imath I})^\perp[/itex], where now [itex]\mathcal{N}[/itex] is the operator's kernel. An idea to complete the exercise should be showing that [itex]A^*\supseteq B^*[/itex], using the identity [itex]\mathcal{N}_{(A+\imath I)^*}=\mathcal{N}_{(B+\imath I)^*}[/itex] and the previous hypothesis. However, I can't understand how this could be usefull.

Thanks a lot for your help. JM

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2
    Re: A functional analysis' problem

Is it possible to move this post to the "Introductory Physics" section?

4. Jul 14, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: A functional analysis' problem

No need, functional analysis is mathematics. :smile:

Anyway, take a point a in the domain of definition of A. Let's calculate Aa+ia, what does [itex]\mathcal{R}_{A+iI}=\mathcal{R}_{B+iI}[/itex] tell you now?

5. Jul 15, 2011 #4
    For hypothesis [itex]A\supseteq B[/itex] so [itex]\mathcal{D}_A\supseteq\mathcal{D}_B[/itex] and [itex]A\mathbf{x}=B\mathbf{x}\,\,\forall\,\mathbf{x}\in \mathcal{D}_B[/itex]. Let [itex]\mathbf{a}\in\mathcal{D}_A[/itex] then [itex]A\mathbf{a}+\imath \mathbf{a}\in\mathcal{H}[/itex]. For hypothesis [itex]\mathcal{R}_{A+\imath I}=\mathcal{R}_{B+\imath I}[/itex], so [itex]\exists\,\mathbf{y}\in\mathcal{H}\,:\,\mathbf{y}=A\mathbf{a}+\imath I\mathbf{a}=B\mathbf{a}+\imath I\mathbf{a}[/itex], then [itex]B\mathbf{a}+\imath I\mathbf{a}\in\mathcal{H}[/itex], which means that [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex] is also an element of [itex]\mathcal{D}_B[/itex]. So [itex]\mathcal{D}_A=\mathcal{D}_B[/itex], in other words [itex]A=B[/itex]. I have thought about this but I was trying to use the simmetry hypotesis about A.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook