A gentle textbook of complex analysis?

In summary: Larson's Calculus (or Stewart's). Look for an engineering complex analysis book, or perhaps even the complex analysis sections of Boas.
girolamo
Is there a gentle textbook of complex analysis? Something equivalent to Larson's Calculus (or Stewart's). I have Schaum's Outline of Complex Variables (Spiegel-Lipschutz), and it's not bad.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look for an engineering complex analysis book, or perhaps even the complex analysis sections of Boas. Though I doubt the Stewart of complex analysis exists.

Last edited:
Kreyszig's seems good for reference, but not for learning the topics.

I haven't read it, but it seems like Calculus with Complex Numbers would give a pretty gentle introduction to the subject. There are also two free online textbooks on Complex Analysis you might want to try, one by George Cain and http://math.sfsu.edu/beck/papers/complex.pdf. They both seem to be aimed at an introductory level.

Thank you, Calculus with Complex Numbers, by Reade, is what I was needing!

Last edited by a moderator:
For a couple of free resources, check out the book by Nearing which has a chapter on complex numbers and a chapter on basic "complex calculus"

http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/

Also look at the bottom of that page for the link to the applied math book by Sean Mauch - it has a few nice chapters on complex variables with solved examples, nice graphs, etc.

For textbooks, I recommend Saff and Snider. I like the book, and if you look at the authors comments, they write, "we have modeled the text after standard calculus books, both in level of exposition and layout .." Look in your library to see if it is what you are looking for. If you buy it get a used copy of the 2nd edition for cheap:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0133274616/?tag=pfamazon01-20

jason

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to A gentle textbook of complex analysis?

1. What is the subject matter of "A gentle textbook of complex analysis"?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. This textbook covers topics such as complex numbers, analytic functions, contour integration, and power series.

2. Who is the intended audience for this textbook?

This textbook is intended for undergraduate students studying mathematics or engineering, as well as anyone interested in learning about complex analysis.

3. What makes this textbook unique compared to other complex analysis textbooks?

This textbook takes a gentle approach to teaching complex analysis, making it accessible to students with little to no prior knowledge of the subject. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to aid in understanding the material.

4. Does this textbook cover advanced topics in complex analysis?

While this textbook primarily covers introductory topics in complex analysis, it does touch on some more advanced topics such as conformal mappings and the Cauchy integral theorem.

5. Can this textbook be used as a reference for further study in complex analysis?

Yes, this textbook can serve as a solid foundation for further study in complex analysis. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject and includes references for additional readings.