1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A gentle textbook of complex analysis?

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1
    Is there a gentle textbook of complex analysis? Something equivalent to Larson's Calculus (or Stewart's). I have Schaum's Outline of Complex Variables (Spiegel-Lipschutz), and it's not bad.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2013 #2
    Look for an engineering complex analysis book, or perhaps even the complex analysis sections of Boas. Though I doubt the Stewart of complex analysis exists.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  4. Nov 19, 2013 #3
    Kreyszig's seems good for reference, but not for learning the topics.

5. Nov 19, 2013 #4
  6. Nov 19, 2013 #5
    Thank you, Calculus with Complex Numbers, by Reade, is what I was needing!

7. Nov 20, 2013 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Nov 20, 2013 #7
  9. Nov 21, 2013 #8

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For a couple of free resources, check out the book by Nearing which has a chapter on complex numbers and a chapter on basic "complex calculus"

http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/

Also look at the bottom of that page for the link to the applied math book by Sean Mauch - it has a few nice chapters on complex variables with solved examples, nice graphs, etc.

For textbooks, I recommend Saff and Snider. I like the book, and if you look at the authors comments, they write, "we have modeled the text after standard calculus books, both in level of exposition and layout .." Look in your library to see if it is what you are looking for. If you buy it get a used copy of the 2nd edition for cheap:
    https://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals...mm_hrd_title_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385088668&sr=8-16

jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted