Calculating Distance of Floating Body Above Magnet Surface

• Thread starter Levi tation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary, calculating the distance of a floating body above a magnet surface involves using the magnetic force equation and the gravitational force equation to solve for the height of the body. This can be done by equating the two forces and rearranging the equation to solve for the height. The resulting distance is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field, the mass of the floating body, and the acceleration due to gravity. This calculation can be useful in various applications, such as determining the stability of a floating object or designing magnetic levitation systems.
Levi tation
Hi all
i literally just joined and hope that some if not all the questions i have can be answered, but for now this one is the one i need answering

Q: i have a body floating above a magnetic surface, behind it is a post with a permanent magnet attached, the floating body has a magnet also fixed to its rear, both poles are repelling each other, if i affix the body as close to the post as possible and then release it, what distance will the body travel?, taking into account there is no contact friction as the body is floating above the ground and the grade of neodymium magnet is N52.
I hope i explained the question clearly enough, not being technically minded i am at a loss top work out the equation to find the answer, thankyou in advance.
Levi

Physics news on Phys.org
You're missing way too many details to answer that. Perhaps you could be more specific.

If we're ignoring all friction losses then it will never stop, but then there's air resistance which means we need more details for that.

What about the mass of the body? That will effect the initial acceleration.

Jarednjames
my apologies, wrote that at 4 in the morning so wasn't thinking, ok the body is small, 20 cm in length 15 cm wide and 10 cm high, it weighs practically nothing, basically a plastic strut, i wish i knew how to calculate the mass, but as far as i can be sure it will be very very light, the air resistance is still a factor but the object will be aerodynamic in design, it isn't for this purpose but it will be,

The body will travel until air resistance causes it to stop. Without knowing the strength of the magnets and the mass of the vehicle it really is impossible to tell.

The principle you are talking about is the same used for maglev trains. They constantly provide a pushing force and so the train keeps going without only wind resistance acting against it.

thankyou jarednjames
that's what i was thinking, as i am not very technically minded i can't give you the strength of the magnet, only the N grade, which is 42, but I am guessing that isn't much help, as i said you answered my question enough to look at that as a realistic propulsion means.

Levi tation said:
thankyou jarednjames
thats what i was thinking, as i am not very technically minded i can't give you the strength of the magnet, only the N grade, which is 42, but I am guessing that isn't much help, as i said you answered my question enough to look at that as a realistic propulsion means.

Well, no. It isn't a realistic propulsion means by any stretch of the imagination. It only provides force for a very short amount of time and once it's traveled a relatively short distance there it's constantly slowing.

I recommend you look up how a maglev works to understand what it takes to use magnets for propulsion.

Levi_tation,

As jarednjames is suggesting, magnetic levitation and magnetic propulsion are tricky things to engineer. You might read through this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation

and NOTE:

Earnshaw's theorem proved conclusively that it is not possible to levitate stably using only static, macroscopic, paramagnetic fields. The forces acting on any paramagnetic object in any combination of gravitational, electrostatic, and magnetostatic fields will make the object's position unstable along at least one axis, and can be unstable along all axes.

The use of electromagnets or super conductors are required for true stable levitation.

Fish

1. How do you calculate the distance of a floating body above a magnet surface?

To calculate the distance of a floating body above a magnet surface, you will need to use the equation d = (m*g)/(B*V), where d is the distance, m is the mass of the floating body, g is the acceleration due to gravity, B is the magnetic field strength, and V is the volume of the floating body.

2. What is the role of mass in the calculation of distance of a floating body above a magnet surface?

Mass plays a crucial role in the calculation of distance of a floating body above a magnet surface. The more mass a floating body has, the stronger the force of gravity pulling it towards the magnet surface. This means that a heavier floating body will be closer to the magnet surface compared to a lighter one.

3. Can the distance of a floating body above a magnet surface change?

Yes, the distance of a floating body above a magnet surface can change. This is because the distance is dependent on various factors such as the mass of the floating body, the strength of the magnetic field, and the volume of the floating body. Any changes in these factors will result in a change in the distance of the floating body from the magnet surface.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the distance of a floating body above a magnet surface?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the distance of a floating body above a magnet surface. The stronger the magnetic field, the stronger the force pulling the floating body towards the magnet surface. This means that a stronger magnetic field will result in a shorter distance between the floating body and the magnet surface.

5. Are there any limitations to the calculation of distance of a floating body above a magnet surface?

Yes, there are certain limitations to the calculation of distance of a floating body above a magnet surface. The equation used assumes a uniform magnetic field and neglects other external factors that may affect the distance, such as air resistance. Additionally, the equation may not be accurate for non-spherical floating bodies or in cases where the magnet is not directly beneath the center of the floating body.