A mass sliding down the inclined plane -- Will it stop?

In summary, the equations of motion for a body sliding down a ramp with varying coefficient of friction were discussed. It was determined that the normal force is equal to the weight of the body on level ground, but may change on an inclined ramp. The work done by friction is equal in magnitude but opposite in sign to the work done by gravity. The problem of solving for the coefficient of friction as a function of the angle of the ramp was also mentioned.
rudransh verma
Gold Member
Homework Statement
The upper half of an inclined plane with inclination ##\phi## is perfectly smooth,while the lower half is rough. A body starting from rest at the top will again come to rest at the bottom, if the coefficient of friction for the lower half is
Relevant Equations
##Fnet=ma##
##v^2=u^2+2as##
For lower half ,$$Fnet=-\mu F_N+mg\sin \phi$$
For upper half,
$$v^2=u^2+2as$$ (s is half of the total slant distance)
$$v^2=0+2\frac{mg\sin \phi}ms$$
$$v=\sqrt{2g\sin \phi s}$$
again for lower half,
$$v^2=u^2+2as$$
$$0=2g\sin \phi s+2\frac{-\mu F_N+mg\sin \phi}ms$$
$$\mu=\frac{2gm\sin \phi}{F_N}$$
$$\mu=2\sin \phi$$

Physics news on Phys.org
rudransh verma said:
$$0=2g\sin \phi s+2\frac{-\mu F_N+mg\sin \phi}ms$$
$$\mu=\frac{2gm\sin \phi}{F_N}$$
$$\mu=2\sin \phi$$
You cannot get rid of ##F_N## in the denominator by setting it equal to the weight. What is ##F_N##?

Last edited:
kuruman said:
You cannot get rid of ##F_N## in the denominator by setting it equal to the weight. What is ##F_N##?
Normal force which will be equal to weight mg. I don't think i have done anything wrong here.

Last edited:
rudransh verma said:
Normal force which will be equal to weight mg. I don't think i have done anything wrong here.
Why will it be equal to weight? Have you checked the limiting cases such as a vertical wall?

rudransh verma said:
If it makes sense to you that the normal force is equal to the weight no matter what the angle of the incline, leave it at that but it is wrong. I will not suggest a method for finding the correct normal force because you have ignored such advice by numerous people on numerous occasions in other threads. I am out of this particular thread.

Likes SammyS, Doc Al and jbriggs444
rudransh verma said:
Only on level ground.

rudransh verma said:
Normal force which will be equal to weight mg.
What do you think the word "normal" means here? Have you tried solving for the normal force?

rudransh verma said:
You have an impressive rate of posting to this forum. Unfortunately it does not seem to be leaving you time to think in between.

• Skeptical
Likes rudransh verma
haruspex said:
You have an impressive rate of posting to this forum. Unfortunately it does not seem to be leaving you time to think in between.
##F_N=mg\cos \phi##. By mistake I did that. ##\mu= 2\tan \phi## is coming.

Would the work done by friction be equal to the work done by gravity?

valenumr said:
Would the work done by friction be equal to the work done by gravity?
Equal in magnitude, opposite sign.

Likes valenumr
haruspex said:
Yes.
Thanks. I would assume that would be the way to solve it, but not enough information given.

valenumr said:
Thanks. I would assume that would be the way to solve it, but not enough information given.
Really? Looks enough to me.

haruspex said:
Really? Looks enough to me.
Oh... I misunderstood the question. It is trying to solve for the coefficient of friction vs the angle of the ramp, given that the coefficient changes from zero to some value after half the length of the ramp?

valenumr said:
Oh... I misunderstood the question. It is trying to solve for the coefficient of friction vs the angle of the ramp, given that the coefficient changes from zero to some value after half the length of the ramp?
Yes.

Likes valenumr

1. What factors affect the speed of a mass sliding down an inclined plane?

The speed of a mass sliding down an inclined plane is affected by the angle of the incline, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity.

2. Will the mass eventually stop sliding down the inclined plane?

Yes, the mass will eventually come to a stop due to friction and air resistance.

3. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the speed of the mass?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the faster the mass will slide down due to the increased force of gravity.

4. Can the mass continue to slide down the inclined plane indefinitely?

No, the mass will eventually come to a stop due to the forces of friction and air resistance, unless there is a continuous force pushing it down the incline.

5. Is the speed of the mass affected by the surface of the inclined plane?

Yes, the type of surface can affect the amount of friction, which in turn can affect the speed of the mass sliding down the inclined plane.