Mechanical problem -- a mass sliding down a curved ramp

In summary: If the object has a speed greater than the speed of sound then it will escape the track.In summary, the object will move along the rail with no friction, but if it falls from the rail it will escape due to the centripetal force.
PeppaPig

Homework Statement

IMG_20171220_195152~2.jpg

An object which has mass = m is released from point A which has height of h. The object moves along the rail with no friction. The rail OB is a semicircular rail which C is the center and R is the radius. If the object falls from the rail at the point B, find the following.
1) h/R
2) Distance of the object from point O if the object lands on the surface without hitting the rail

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the law of energy conservation

mgh + 1/2mv2 = mgh + 1/2mv2

The object should have velocity of sqrt(2gh) at point O

What should I do next at the semicircular rail?
How to calculate the reaction from the rail since the object will fall if the reaction is 0?

Attachments

• IMG_20171220_195152~2.jpg
    IMG_20171220_195152~2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,369
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What speed must the object have at B to just start leaving the track at that point?

Likes PeppaPig
Doc Al said:
What speed must the object have at B to just start leaving the track at that point?
The vertical speed is 0?

I haven't studied the centripetal force yet. Is it used in the calculation?

PeppaPig said:
The vertical speed is 0?
What's the horizontal speed?

PeppaPig said:
I haven't studied the centripetal force yet. Is it used in the calculation?
Yes. To figure out the minimum speed it must have to just barely make it to point B, you must consider centripetal force & acceleration.

Likes PeppaPig
FYI: If the object isn't moving fast enough, it will leave the track before getting to point B.

Likes PeppaPig
Doc Al said:
FYI: If the object isn't moving fast enough, it will leave the track before getting to point B.

I just read about the centripetal force on wikipedia. The formula is F = mv2/R which v2/R is the centripetal acceleration.
How can I use this to solve this problem?

PeppaPig said:
The formula is F = mv2/R which v2/R is the centripetal acceleration.
Good. Your textbook should have plenty of examples to learn from as well.

PeppaPig said:
How can I use this to solve this problem?
Apply Newton's 2nd law at point B. What forces act?

Likes PeppaPig
Doc Al said:
Good. Your textbook should have plenty of examples to learn from as well.Apply Newton's 2nd law at point B. What forces act?

There are the gravitational force and centripetal force which are mg and mv2/R. Reaction force = 0 means the centripetal force (from object to center) is equal to gravitational force. Is that correct?

PeppaPig said:
Reaction force = 0 means the centripetal force (from object to center) is equal to gravitational force. Is that correct?
Good! Now set up an equation to solve for the speed/energy needed at that point.

Doc Al said:
Good! Now set up an equation to solve for the speed/energy needed at that point.

I have another question. v at point B is equal to v and point O?

PeppaPig said:
I have another question. v at point B is equal to v and point O?
Why would you think that? Energy is conserved! (Those points are at different heights.)

Likes PeppaPig
Doc Al said:
Why would you think that? Energy is conserved! (Those points are at different heights.)
Oh! I forgot about that.

1/2m(2gh) = 1/2mv2 + mg(2R)
v2 = 2g(h - 2R)

Then mg = mv2/R

g = (2g(h-2R))/R

h/R = 5/2

Then use v at point B to calculate distance from O after landing using projectile. Is that correct?

PeppaPig said:
h/R = 5/2
Good!

PeppaPig said:
Then use v at point B to calculate distance from O after landing using projectile. Is that correct?
Exactly.

Likes PeppaPig
Doc Al said:
Good!Exactly.
Thank you very much.

PeppaPig said:
There are the gravitational force and centripetal force which are mg and mv2/R. Reaction force = 0 means the centripetal force (from object to center) is equal to gravitational force. Is that correct?
Yes but that's not quite the way I would think about it. The two forces aren't gravity and the centripetal force. The two forces are gravity and the normal force from the track.

In order to move in a circle something must provide a net centripetal force = mv^2/, no more and no less. In this case the two forces that combine to produce the centripetal force are gravity and the normal force produced by the track. The normal force originates from the inertia of the object which tries to make it move in a straight line.

If gravity provides less than mv^2/r then the normal force from the track will provide the rest.

If gravity provides more than mv^2/r the radius will reduce and it will fall down.

1. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of a mass sliding down a curved ramp?

The formula for calculating the acceleration of a mass sliding down a curved ramp is a = gsinθ, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and θ is the angle of the ramp.

2. How does the angle of the ramp affect the acceleration of the mass?

The angle of the ramp directly affects the acceleration of the mass. As the angle increases, the acceleration also increases because the component of gravity acting parallel to the ramp also increases.

3. What is the difference between the normal force and the gravitational force in this scenario?

The normal force is the force that the ramp exerts on the mass perpendicular to the surface, while the gravitational force is the force of gravity acting on the mass.

4. How does friction play a role in a mass sliding down a curved ramp?

Friction acts in the direction opposite to the motion of the mass, slowing it down. The amount of friction depends on the coefficient of friction between the ramp and the mass.

5. Can the mass reach a constant velocity while sliding down a curved ramp?

Yes, if there is no friction present, the mass can reach a constant velocity when the force of gravity is balanced by the normal force and the acceleration becomes zero.