Exploring Beams in MATLAB: Understanding setbeam() and plotbeam()

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary: It looks like the setbeam function is part of the Structural Mechanics Toolbox in Matlab. It is used to define the properties of a beam, such as its length, elasticity, and boundary conditions. The Load_Spec variable is used to specify the applied load on the beam, and the function beamf calculates the deflection of the beam under that load. Finally, the plotbeam function is used to visualize the deflection of the beam.
mech-eng
Hi, there is an example of beams in matlab. Can somebody articulate? What is setbeam(EI, L, BC_Spec) I know it is not an array and also I do not know it is physical meaning. what is Load_Spec = [0 0.5 1.2]; and here beamf(Load_Spec) is assigned to y but what is plotbeam(y)

Attachments

• a matlab question.png
    a matlab question.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure that it is the same setbeam that AlphaZero found, as the number of arguments is not the same.

The short excerpt you posted starts with "To show how to use the Toolbox". What toolbox are they referring to?

DrClaude said:
I'm not sure that it is the same setbeam that AlphaZero found, as the number of arguments is not the same.
It's the right book, but the wrong page. Compare page 10 in the Google Books link with the OP's attachment :smile:

AlephZero said:
It's the right book, but the wrong page. Compare page 10 in the Google Books link with the OP's attachment :smile:

Good catch!

Related to Exploring Beams in MATLAB: Understanding setbeam() and plotbeam()

1. What is the purpose of using setbeam() in MATLAB?

The setbeam() function in MATLAB is used to define and customize the properties of a beam object. This includes setting the beam's geometry, material properties, and boundary conditions. It is an essential tool for creating and manipulating beam elements in a structural analysis or design project.

2. How do I plot a beam in MATLAB?

To plot a beam in MATLAB, you can use the plotbeam() function. This function takes in the beam object as an input and generates a visual representation of the beam's geometry and properties. It is a useful tool for visualizing and analyzing the behavior of beams in various loading and boundary conditions.

3. Can I use setbeam() to define multiple beams at once?

Yes, the setbeam() function can be used to define multiple beams simultaneously by providing an array of beam objects as an input. This is helpful when dealing with complex structural systems with multiple beams and connections.

4. How do I change the material properties of a beam using setbeam()?

To change the material properties of a beam, you can use the 'E' (Young's modulus) and 'G' (shear modulus) parameters in the setbeam() function. These parameters represent the stiffness and strength of the material and can be adjusted to simulate different materials or variations in the same material.

5. Is it possible to import beam data from external sources into MATLAB?

Yes, it is possible to import beam data from external sources such as CAD software or spreadsheets into MATLAB. This can be achieved by using the importgeometry() function, which allows you to read in beam geometry and properties from various file formats and convert them into beam objects that can be used with setbeam() and plotbeam().