1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A mix of limits, slope, and vectors

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    1. A moving particle has position (x(t),y(t)) at any time t. The position of the particle at t =1 is (2,6), and the velocity vector at any time t > 0 is given by (1 - (1/(t^2)), 2 + (1/(t^2))).

The particle approaches a line as t -> infinity. Find the slope of the line. Show the work that leads to your conclusion.

2. I found that the position vector is <t + (1/t), 2t - (1/t) + 5>

I decided that the best thing to do was take the limit of y(t) over x(t), and applied L'Hôpital's rule until the equation turned into something tangible. I ended up with the limit as t approaches infinity to be 2. Is that right? Is that the slope of the line? Did I not go far enough or did I do it completely wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That looks fine to me. I don't even think you really NEED l'Hopital. Just divide the numerator and denominator of y(t)/x(t) by t and you've got it.

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    yay!!! thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook