A nice equation with the floor function

• Thread starter Gp7417
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation involving the ceil and floor functions and finding all possible solutions. One solution has been found numerically, but there may be others. It is determined that the expression must stay the same or decrease when x is increased and must stay the same or increase when x is decreased. A proposed solution is checked and a possible solution is found by setting x as an integer plus a fractional part. There is a discussion about the mixup between the floor and ceil functions. It is also noted that the function involved in the equation is strictly increasing in x, meaning there can only be at most one solution.
Gp7417
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Hi all!
I should solve the following equation involving the ceil or floor function:
[tex]
x \cdot \lceil x \cdot \lceil x \rceil \rceil = 82
[/tex]
I have found just one solution 41/9, but I have no idea about how finding the other solutions.
Thanks you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Gp7417 said:
I should solve the following equation involving the ceil or floor function:
[tex]
x \cdot \lceil x \cdot \lceil x \rceil \rceil = 82
[/tex]
I have found just one solution 41/9, but I have no idea about how finding the other solutions.
What convinces you that there are other solutions?

Can the expression stay the same or decrease if you increase x?
Can the expression stay the same or increase if you decrease x?

jbriggs444 said:
What convinces you that there are other solutions?
The problem says: 'Find all possibile solutions'. I find this solution numerically.
mfb said:
Can the expression stay the same or decrease if you increase x?
Can the expression stay the same or increase if you decrease x?
The expression must be the same.

Gp7417 said:
Right, so can this be possible with a different x?
Gp7417 said:
The problem says: 'Find all possibile solutions'.
That does not tell you how many solutions there are.

I propose this solution, check it out!
We must find solution on the positive real axis.
Let be [itex]x= n + \delta[/itex], where [itex]n[/itex] is the integer part and [itex]\delta[/itex] is the fractional part with [itex]0 \leq \delta < 1[/itex].
Given that [itex]x \lfloor x \lfloor x \rfloor \rfloor=82[/itex] and [itex]x \lfloor x \lfloor x \rfloor \rfloor \leq x^3[/itex] , we get [itex] x \geq 82^{\frac{1}{3}} \approx 4.344[/itex]. Therefore [itex]n \geq 4[/itex].
If 5 is not solution the equation, then every number greater than 5 are not solutions. Therefore [itex]n=4[/itex].
With the previous statements, the equation becames:
[itex](4+\delta)\cdot \lfloor 16+4\delta \rfloor=82 [/itex]
This equation is equivalent to the following equations:
[itex]0 \leq \delta < 1/4[/itex] and [itex](4+\delta)\cdot(16+0)=82[/itex]
[itex]1/4 \leq \delta < 2/4[/itex] and [itex](4+\delta)\cdot(16+1)=82[/itex]
[itex]2/4 \leq \delta < 3/4[/itex] and [itex](4+\delta)\cdot(16+2)=82[/itex]
[itex]3/4 \leq \delta < 4/4[/itex] and [itex](4+\delta)\cdot(16+3)=82[/itex]
Only the third equation admits a solution that is [itex]\delta=5/9[/itex].

Last edited:
What I don't understand here is why there is a solution at all?
Obviously x has to be between 4 and 5, excluding 4 and 5. So the inner ceiling is 5 and the outer at least 21. But four times twenty-one is already 84.

You write the ceil function and then derive things for the floor function? For the floor function that works.
fresh_42 said:
So the inner ceiling is 5 and the outer at least 21.
See the floor/ceil mixup.

With [itex] \lceil x \rceil [/itex] I want to denote the floor function of [itex] x [/itex].

Gp7417 said:
With [itex] \lceil x \rceil [/itex] I want to denote the floor function of [itex] x [/itex].
That's how to denote the ceiling function.

Use lfloor and rfloor for the floor function. ##\ \lfloor x \rfloor##

Gp7417 said:
The problem says: 'Find all possibile solutions'. I find this solution numerically.

No. The function ##f(x) = x \lfloor x \lfloor x \rfloor \rfloor## is strictly increasing in ##x##, sometimes linearly and sometimes through a jump discontinuity.
To see this, let ##x = n + r## where ##n \geq 0 ## is an integer and ##0 \leq r < 1##. Then the inner floor function is ##\lfloor n + r \rfloor = n##, so
[tex] f(n+r) = (n+r) \lfloor (n+r)n \rfloor [/tex]
The function ## g(n,r) = \lfloor (n+r)n \rfloor## is positve and nondecreasing in ##n## and ##r##, so ##f(n+r) = (n+r) g(n,r)## is strictly increasing.

That means that ##f(x) = 82## has at most one root.

1. What is the floor function?

The floor function, denoted as ⌊x⌋, is a mathematical function that rounds a real number down to the nearest integer. It essentially finds the largest integer that is less than or equal to the given number. For example, ⌊3.75⌋ = 3, ⌊-2.5⌋ = -3, and ⌊4⌋ = 4.

2. How is the floor function used in equations?

The floor function is often used in equations to represent a "step" or "staircase" function, where the output is a constant value for a range of inputs. It can also be used to define a domain for a function, where the floor function is applied to the input variable. For example, f(x) = ⌊x⌋ for x ≥ 0 and f(x) = 0 for x < 0.

3. What is the difference between the floor function and ceiling function?

The ceiling function, denoted as ⌈x⌉, is the opposite of the floor function. It rounds a real number up to the nearest integer. For example, ⌈3.75⌉ = 4, ⌈-2.5⌉ = -2, and ⌈4⌉ = 4. The main difference between the two is the direction of rounding, with the floor function rounding down and the ceiling function rounding up.

4. Can the floor function be applied to any type of number?

Yes, the floor function can be applied to any real number, including integers, fractions, and irrational numbers. However, the output will always be an integer, as the function rounds down to the nearest whole number.

5. Are there any other common uses for the floor function?

Aside from its use in equations and defining domains, the floor function is also commonly used in computer programming to find the index of an array or to perform integer division. It can also be used in number theory to find the greatest integer divisor of a given number.