1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses A nuclear engineering course as a substitute for nuclear physics?

1. Nov 4, 2006 #1
    a nuclear engineering course as a substitute for nuclear physics??

I am a dual major in electrical engineering and physics and I missed my shot at taking nuclear physics, and likely will never get the chance to take it again. It isn't required for my degree but I still want to know something about nuclear physics. It seems a nuclear engineering course is being offered in the spring and I thought it may be a good alternative for nuclear engineering. I was wondering if someone in the know could look over the two courses for me and tell me if they overlap somewhat in their curricula.

EME 5283 - Elements of Nuclear Engineering
    An introduction to nuclear energy. The relevant aspects of nuclear physics, radioactivity, shielding, heat transfer and fluid flow are reviewed and applied to the design of large thermal reactors. Biological hazards, waste disposal and fast breeders are discussed.
    3.000 Credit Hours
    3.000 Lecture hours

PHY 4823 - Nuclear Physics
    Discussion of nuclear structure, radiation, radiation detection, theoretical nuclear models and elementary particles. Lecture 3 hrs.

If the elements of nuclear engineering course seems worthwhile I may take it next semester.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

There is probably some overlap, but without detailed syllabi for each course, it is difficult to tell.

The overlap is likely between "nuclear physics, radioactivity, shielding." and "nuclear structure, radiation, radiation detection."

How much overlap will depend upon how much time is devoted to the "nuclear physics/radiation" topics in the NE course.

I did both modern/nuclear physics in the Physics Department and Nuclear Engineering Departments at university. It was somewhat redundant with respect to radiation and radiation interactions, but the Physics Department course got more in the theory of nuclear structure and more into particle physics beyond simply the alpha, beta (positron) and gamma radiation.

If you can't do PHY 4823 - Nuclear Physics, but still want some exposure, take the EME 5283 - Elements of Nuclear Engineering, otherwise, wait until grad school and take the Nuclear Physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?