1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A particle P is projected from a point O with velocity

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle P is projected from a point O with velocity 12i +16j .two seconds later,another particle Q is projected from O and collides with P after another second.Find the initial velocity of Q.

2. Relevant equations

x=(vcosθ)(t)
    y=vtsinθ-1/2gt^2
    3. The attempt at a solution i think that Q will approach P when ts vertical and horizontal distance become equal with P.but i cant handle the time change or its accurates valuess.......plzzz help me out..............

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Re: Projectiles

How many seconds does the first particle spend in flight before the collision? What is the x,y location of the collision?

4. Feb 8, 2012 #3

its not given in the question

5. Feb 8, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Sure it is. Reread the question statement carefully.

6. Feb 8, 2012 #5

its not there

7. Feb 8, 2012 #6

Yes, it is.

P is projected. 2 seconds later, Q is projected. Another second later, they collide.

Collision happens, 2 + 1 = 3 seconds after P is projected. From there, you should be able to easily work out the location of collision (where is P 3 seconds after projection?).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook