A particle P is projected from a point O with velocity

In summary, two particles, P and Q, are projected from a point O with velocities 12i + 16j and unknown initial velocity, respectively. After two seconds, another particle Q is projected and collides with P after another second. The initial velocity of Q can be determined by setting its vertical and horizontal distances equal to those of P at the time of collision, which occurs 3 seconds after the projection of P. The x,y location of the collision can then be calculated based on the position of P at 3 seconds.
VICKZZA

Homework Statement

A particle P is projected from a point O with velocity 12i +16j .two seconds later,another particle Q is projected from O and collides with P after another second.Find the initial velocity of Q.

Homework Equations

x=(vcosθ)(t)
y=vtsinθ-1/2gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i think that Q will approach P when ts vertical and horizontal distance become equal with P.but i can't handle the time change or its accurates valuess...pleasezz help me out.....

Physics news on Phys.org

How many seconds does the first particle spend in flight before the collision? What is the x,y location of the collision?

its not given in the question

VICKZZA said:
its not given in the question

Sure it is. Reread the question statement carefully.

its not there

VICKZZA said:
its not there

Yes, it is.

P is projected. 2 seconds later, Q is projected. Another second later, they collide.

Collision happens, 2 + 1 = 3 seconds after P is projected. From there, you should be able to easily work out the location of collision (where is P 3 seconds after projection?).

What is the formula for the velocity of a particle projected from a point?

The formula for the velocity of a particle projected from a point is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

How does the angle of projection affect the velocity of a particle?

The angle of projection affects the velocity of a particle by determining the direction of the velocity vector. The greater the angle, the more horizontal the velocity vector will be, resulting in a greater horizontal velocity component.

What factors can influence the initial velocity of a projected particle?

The initial velocity of a projected particle can be influenced by factors such as the force of projection, the angle of projection, and any external forces acting on the particle, such as air resistance or gravity.

How does the initial velocity of a projected particle change over time?

The initial velocity of a projected particle will change over time due to the effects of acceleration. If there is no external force acting on the particle, the velocity will remain constant. However, if there is acceleration, the velocity will change according to the formula v = u + at.

What is the maximum height reached by a particle projected from a point?

The maximum height reached by a particle projected from a point can be calculated using the formula h = u2sin2θ/2g, where h is the maximum height, u is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes no air resistance.