A pickle in finding vehicle center of gravity.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the center of gravity for a vehicle using only the information of its full loaded weight, empty weight, and maximum axle capacity. The experts explain that without knowing the relative load on the two axles, it is not possible to accurately calculate the center of gravity. However, with additional assumptions, it may be possible to estimate the position of the center of mass. The conversation also mentions a method of distributing the weight difference between the fully loaded and empty vehicle into different parts of the vehicle, but the speaker is unsure of its validity.
constlurker
So I'm trying to find vehicle center of gravity, but i only have this information:
full loaded vehicle weight(3200kg or 31392 N)
empty vehicle weight(2000kg or 19620 N)
maximum rear axle capacity(1500kg or 14715 N)
maximum front axle capacity(1800kg or 17658 N)

Is this possible? I have a book in which is written(and there is an even an example) where they calculate center of gravity for empty vehicle with just full loaded vehicle weight, empty vehicle weight and maximum rear axle capacity, but I'm reading it and it just doesn't makes sense,i tried calculating the same without actually understanding and the formula is easy but the answer I'm getting is nonsense..So i want to ask experts - can i find center of gravity with just these variables(because there is no other info on the vehicle)? Maybe not 100% accurate, but is it possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the relative load on the two axles that determines the relative position of the center of mass (CM). So, if you only know the total load, but not the relative load, you cannot calculate the CM position.

In your case it means that you can calculate the (relative) position of the CM from the two axle loads, whereas you cannot do so from the empty weight alone. At least not without some further assumptions, like for example that the relative axle load for the vehicle is the same whether empty or fully loaded, or that the the payload has its CM located at some specified relative position between the two axles.

(Btw, since the maximum weight doesn't add up in kg, but does so in N, I assume you mean 3300 kg for the fully loaded total weight.)

Thanks for the info, i am thinking the same way, but they somehow calculating it for the empty vehicle by distributing weight difference(fully loaded minus empty) into drivers seating, passengers and the rest to the back on the vehicle..So i really have no idea what is even happening there and why are they calculating like that. By the way, it is not a simple book, but a book written by a professors, so I'm kinda lost here.

What is center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed in all directions, causing it to remain balanced. In other words, it is the point where the weight of the object is evenly distributed.

Why is it important to find the center of gravity in a vehicle?

Knowing the center of gravity of a vehicle is crucial for safety and stability. It helps determine how the vehicle will handle and how likely it is to tip over. A high center of gravity can make a vehicle more prone to rollovers, while a low center of gravity can improve handling and stability.

How is the center of gravity determined in a vehicle?

The center of gravity is determined by finding the balance point of the vehicle. This is typically done by using a device called a plumb bob and measuring the distance from the front and rear axles to the center of the vehicle.

What factors can affect the center of gravity in a vehicle?

The weight and distribution of the vehicle's components can affect the center of gravity. For example, a heavier engine in the front of the vehicle can shift the center of gravity forward, making it more prone to tipping. Modifying a vehicle with larger tires or a lift kit can also change the center of gravity.

Why is it important to consider the center of gravity when loading a vehicle?

Loading a vehicle unevenly or with too much weight in one area can shift the center of gravity and affect the handling and stability of the vehicle. It is important to evenly distribute weight and keep it within the recommended weight limits set by the manufacturer to maintain a safe center of gravity.