Abandoned Cooling Towers by the M1 Motorway

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooling
In summary, the conversation was about someone who saw and took a picture of abandoned cooling towers that were part of a demolished power station. They could not be blown up due to their location near the M1. There was a joke about turning them into flats and a dream about living in one of the towers and throwing giant potatoes with a friend. The conversation ended with a comment about the potential pain of getting hit by a giant potato.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Saw a lovely view today and couldn't resist parking up to snap it. It's a pair of abandoned cooling towers. The power station was demolished years ago, but they can't blow up the towers because the M1 runs right next to them, as you can see.

http://personalpages.umist.ac.uk/student/E.Smith-2/small%20cooling.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aww, Brewy you are such a romantic, may be they will turn them into flats. :rofl:

wolram said:
Aww, Brewy you are such a romantic, may be they will turn them into flats. :rofl:

I had a dream a few years ago that I lived in one of them. If you look carefully, you'll see that they have different patterns cut into them near the top. In my dream, I lived in the diamond-pattern one, and my friend Natalie lived in the rectangle-pattern one. We were standing on their roofs (yes, they had roofs in my dream!) and throwing giant potatoes to each other.

brewnog said:
I had a dream a few years ago that I lived in one of them. If you look carefully, you'll see that they have different patterns cut into them near the top. In my dream, I lived in the diamond-pattern one, and my friend Natalie lived in the rectangle-pattern one. We were standing on their roofs (yes, they had roofs in my dream!) and throwing giant potatoes to each other.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

brewnog said:
Sounds fun! Did anybody hit each other?

Mk said:
Sounds fun! Did anybody hit each other?
If potatoes hurt as much as grapefruits, I hope not. :uhh:

1. What is the purpose of the abandoned cooling towers by the M1 motorway?

The abandoned cooling towers by the M1 motorway were originally built to cool down water used in the nearby power plant. They are no longer in use due to the decommissioning of the power plant.

2. Are the abandoned cooling towers safe to explore?

It is not recommended to explore the abandoned cooling towers. They are in a state of disrepair and may contain hazardous materials or pose a structural danger. It is best to admire them from a safe distance.

3. Can the abandoned cooling towers be repurposed for other uses?

While it is possible to repurpose the abandoned cooling towers, it would require significant renovations and safety measures. It would also depend on the structural integrity of the towers and the surrounding area.

4. What impact do the abandoned cooling towers have on the environment?

The abandoned cooling towers have little impact on the environment as they are no longer in use and do not emit any pollution. However, they may contribute to the aesthetic of the area and may attract wildlife.

5. Are there any plans to demolish the abandoned cooling towers?

Currently, there are no plans to demolish the abandoned cooling towers. They are considered a historical landmark and attract visitors. However, if they pose a safety hazard or become unstable, they may be demolished in the future.