1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A point between 2 magnets, what remains constant at that point?

1. Jun 1, 2014 #1
    a fixed spacial point between 2 fixed magnets. if I place different blocks of material on that point, is the H that will remain the same? or is it the B? or just the MMF (magnetic motive force), while B and H will always change depend on the material placed?

the same question for E, D, and EMF between 2 fixed charges.

thanks

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2014 #2
    I am sorry, I don't understand, was the question itself too naive? but I m just asking for a "yes" or "no" really. I was trying to understand the medium independent, fundamental driven force of E or M field.

4. Jun 1, 2014 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It depends on the shape and orientation of the material.
    Usually, both B and H will change in the vicinity of the material.

5. Jun 1, 2014 #4
    And, both B and H will change at the point of interest INSIDE of the material as well right? The same applies for E and D too right?

So, none of B or H or E or D are "fundamental qualities". Only the EMF and MMF are. Meaning: only MMF ( N*i) is the fundamental "driver", while B and H will vary with the properties of different materials.

I was looking at a solenoid with an iron core inside. the iron core has an air gap inside. once the MMF was turned on, a constant flux will flow thru the core and air gap (ignore fringing), so B's are the same for air gap and core but H's are different.
    I am guessing some similar situations would apply for E and D as well. D will remain the same thru out different materials but E actually varies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook