What is the Solution to the Polynomial Equation (x+1)P(x) = xP(x+1)?

• Thread starter canopus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a polynomial equation where the expressions on each side are equal. The participants are trying to determine the value of the polynomial, with one suggesting it must be 0. Others propose different solutions, but ultimately it is determined that the only polynomial satisfying the equation is 0. There is some confusion about the use of "v", which is interpreted as "and". When dividing by x, it is important to note that it is only valid for x not equal to 0.
canopus
[SOLVED] A polynome question

(x+1)*P(x)=x*P(x+1) v (x+1)*P(x)=x*P(x-1) ==> P(x)=?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think your polynome must be 0.

1: [tex]P(0) = 0[/tex]
2: for x>-1 : [tex]P(x+1) = \frac{x}{x+1}P(x)[/tex]

recurence : P is identically 0 on the natural integers.
I guess your polynome has finite order and infinitely many zeros
q.e.d. ?

Assuming that the "v" mean "and", since the left side of each equation is the same, you have P(x+1)= P(x-1). The only polynomial satisfying that is P(x)= a constant. In that case, the requirement that (x+1)P(x)= xP(x+1) becomes
(x+1)c= xc so c=0. The only polynomial satisfying (x+1)P(x)= xP(x+1) and
(x+1)P(x)= xP(x-1) is P(x)= 0.

"v" more commonly means "or". We could interpret that as meaning one equation is true for some values of x and the other for other values of x or as meaning that there are two questions for two different polynomials. I don't think there is enough information to solve either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was concerned about the fact that the "v" should mean "or". But I could not make sens of the assumption with the "or". On the other hand, if it means "and", then there is too much information to solve the problem :confused:

Actually, i meant ''and''. I found P(0)=0 but when i put the ''0'' instead of ''x'', it seems impossible, because, let's write one of these polynomes, (x+1)*P(x)=x*P(x+1) we can write also like [(x+1)*P(x)]/x=P(x+1) then we put ''0'' instead of ''x'' but the result is found roughly infinite (that is through little). But, i might be wrong, what do you think?

canopus said:
Actually, i meant ''and''. I found P(0)=0 but when i put the ''0'' instead of ''x'', it seems impossible, because, let's write one of these polynomes, (x+1)*P(x)=x*P(x+1) we can write also like [(x+1)*P(x)]/x=P(x+1) then we put ''0'' instead of ''x'' but the result is found roughly infinite (that is through little). But, i might be wrong, what do you think?
When you divide through by x it is only valid for [itex]x \neq 0[/itex]...

What is a polynome and what is its purpose?

A polynome, also known as a polynomial, is a mathematical expression consisting of variables and coefficients. Its purpose is to represent relationships between variables and to solve equations.

What are the different types of polynomes?

There are several types of polynomes, including monomials (with one term), binomials (with two terms), trinomials (with three terms), and higher-degree polynomes (with more than three terms).

How do you add and subtract polynomes?

To add or subtract polynomes, you combine like terms by adding or subtracting the coefficients of the same variable. For example, 3x + 2x would become 5x, since both terms have the variable x.

What is the degree of a polynome and how is it determined?

The degree of a polynome is the highest exponent of the variable in the expression. For example, in the polynome 5x^3 + 2x^2 + 6, the degree is 3. It is determined by looking at the exponents of the variables in the expression.

How can polynomes be used in real life?

Polynomes can be used to model and solve real-life problems, such as calculating distance traveled over time, determining the trajectory of a projectile, or predicting population growth. They are also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.