1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem about reduction of the order of a linear ODE

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if y1 is a solution to the ODE y'''+a2y''+a1y'+a0y=0 then the substitution y=uy1 reduces the order of the equation to a 2nd order linear ODE.

3. The attempt at a solution
    well, I calculated first, second and third derivatives of y and plugged them in the equation and after cancellation and some tedious algebraic operations I obtained this new equation:
    (3y1''+2a2y1'+ a1y1)u' + (3y1' + a2y1)u'' + u'''y1=0

Now I'm stuck and don't know what I should do next at this point. We still have the third derivative of u in the equation and I don't know how to cancel that.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The first term should be y'''.

Presumably you mean y = uy1.
    I didn't work it all out but, assuming you have checked your work, you can just let v = u' and you will have a second order equation in v.

4. Nov 4, 2011 #3
    Yes.

Yes.

That's a good idea. but do you think the professor wanted us to do that at this step? I mean does he accept this as the solution to his problem?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  5. Nov 4, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of course, you need an "= 0" on the right side to make it an equation. But yes, or course, you have reduced the problem of solving a 3rd order equation to one of solving a 2nd order equation.

6. Nov 4, 2011 #5
    Fine. the next question asks me that If we have two linearly independent solutions y1,y2 for this ODE we can find the 3rd solution. Can I use the idea of order reduction from this problem to solve that? If yes, how?
    Thanks for helping.

7. Nov 4, 2011 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I haven't ever tried that since it never comes up. My guess is that uy2 would lead to a second solution to your u equation allowing you to reduce it to a first order. So I expect the answer is yes. I guess all you can do is try it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook