1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem from science fiction - intersecting curves

1. May 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]

A spaceship is traveling on a curved path, f(t) = (t, t2)

(We'll assume that the path isn't affected by gravity, this is a math problem, not physics :-) )

It has to release a pod to intersect a space station that has an orbit described by the following:

g(t) = (4+cos([itex]\frac{πt}{8})[/itex], 8-sin([itex]\frac{πt}{8}[/itex]))

The pod will travel at a tangent from the curved path f(t) and I want to know at what time s I should release it to get to the space station and how long it will take.

3. The attempt at a solution

OK, so I know that since I am releasing the pod at time s, my first vector to add will be (s, s2). And those numbers will be constant.

I know that f'(t) = (1, 2t)

So that means that a pod will be zooming off the curve in a path described by (s+t, s2+2t). (correct?)

So to see if the pod will hit the space station and when, I need

(s+t, s2+2t) = (4+cos([itex]\frac{π(s+t)}{8})[/itex], 8-sin([itex]\frac{π(s+t)}{8}[/itex]))

But after that I am stuck, and I feel like there is some simple step I am missing. I know that the time s of release can't be more than s=3 and less than 0 because if s=0 the line is horizontal and never hits the circle described, and if s≥3 it will miss the circle full stop. So there are some constraints here. I am almost there, I feel like.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not quite.

For the spacecraft, v(t)=(1,2t)
    At time t=s, the speed of the spacecraft, and thus the pod, will be... ?
    ... and thus, the position-time equation of the pod will be... ?

4. May 6, 2013 #3
    A time t=s the speed of the spacecraft is f'(s) or (1,2s) so that's the speed of the pod.

The position of the pod would have to be (s+t, s2+(2s)t) after that, yes?

So you'd want (s+t, s2+(2s)t) = (4+cos[itex]\frac{(s+t)π}{8}[/itex], 8-sin[itex]\frac{(s+t)π}{8}[/itex])

That's still pretty ugly when you want to solve it, no?

5. May 6, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's usually nastier than that because the pod will be travelling along a conic section as well.
    And then - real orbits are seldom that tidy.

You want to solve for s - you'll find there are lots of solutions from the restraints you have specified.

6. May 6, 2013 #5
    OK, but when I try to do that I get s = 4-t+cos([itex]\frac{(t+s)π}{8}[/itex])

And I still have a lot of possibilities for both s and t. I do know that -1<s+t-4<1, b/c of the cosine function. And I know that s>0, and t>0 so for this to work 3< s+t < 5. Am I getting it right so far?

Further, s2+2st = 8-sin([itex]\frac{(t+s)π}{8}[/itex])

which gets me s(1+2t) = 8-sin([itex]\frac{(t+s)π}{8}[/itex])

or 8-s(1+2t)=sin([itex]\frac{(t+s)π}{8}[/itex])

since -1<8-s(1+2t) <1 7<s(1+2t)<9, yes?

7. May 6, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes you do - why would you expect any different?

You are using t as the elapsed time between release and capture.
    You should find an equation for this time in terms of the release time and the speed of the pod.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted