Finding the point of intersection between two curves. (Vectors)

I'm good to go. Thanks for all your help. In summary, the problem involves finding the point of intersection and the angle between two curves given by r1(t) = (t, 4-t, 63+t^2) and r2(s) = (9-s, s-5, s^2). After solving for t and s, the intersection point is (1,3,64) and the angle between the two tangent vectors at the intersection is 40 degrees.
Jaqsan

Homework Statement

At what point do the curves r1(t) = (t, 4-t, 63+t^2) and r2(s)= (9-s, s-5, s^2) intersect?
Answer in the form: (x,y,z) = ____

Find the angle of intersection theta to the nearest degree.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i: t=9-s
j: 4-t=s-5
k: 63+t^2=s^2

i/j: t-9s
k: 63+(9-s)^2=s^2
"Solving for "s""
s=8
t=1
I know not what to do from here. :-(

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Jaqsan,

Jaqsan said:

Homework Statement

At what point do the curves r1(t) = (t, 4-t, 63+t^2) and r2(s)= (9-s, s-5, s^2) intersect?
Answer in the form: (x,y,z) = ____

Find the angle of intersection theta to the nearest degree.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i: t=9-s
j: 4-t=s-5
k: 63+t^2=s^2

i/j: t-9s
k: 63+(9-s)^2=s^2
"Solving for "s""
s=8
t=1
I know not what to do from here. :-(

It sounds like you want to find the "direction" of each curve at the point of intersection. Can you think of a vector that describes this, and how to compute that vector given r(t)?

I don't understand. The question asks for the point of intersection of the two curves. Do I find the derivative, dot product? Just point me in the right direction please.

cepheid said:
Welcome to PF Jaqsan,

It sounds like you want to find the "direction" of each curve at the point of intersection. Can you think of a vector that describes this, and how to compute that vector given r(t)?

I don't understand. The question asks for the point of intersection of the two curves. Do I find the derivative, dot product? Just point me in the right direction please.

Jaqsan said:
s=8
t=1
What is the vector r1 when t=1?

Jaqsan said:

You already found the intersection point correctly. So the two tangent vectors are r1'(1) and r2'(8). What are they? Then the angle between two vectors a and b is a.b/(|a||b|). Use that.

Dick said:
You already found the intersection point correctly. So the two tangent vectors are r1'(1) and r2'(8). What are they? Then the angle between two vectors a and b is a.b/(|a||b|). Use that.

Okay, so I got
r1'(1) = <1,-1,2>
r2'(8)= <-1,1,16>
So do I dot them to get them in one (x,y,z) form?

Jaqsan said:
Okay, so I got
r1' = <1,-1,2>
r2' = <-1,1,16>
So do I dot them to get them in one (x,y,z) form?

Ummm, to answer the (x,y,z)=___ you just substitute. To answer the angle question you want to form a dot product.

Dick said:

Dick said:
Ummm, to answer the (x,y,z)=___ you just substitute. To answer the angle question you want to form a dot product.

I thought I already did the substitution. r1' = <1,-1,2> r2' = <-1,1,16> What I'm trying is it looks like there are two numbers for each value <x,y,z>

Jaqsan said:
I thought I already did the substitution. r1' = <1,-1,2> r2' = <-1,1,16> What I'm trying is it looks like there are two numbers for each value <x,y,z>

You substituted correctly into the derivatives. That's fine. When they are asking for the intersection point (x,y,z) you should substitute t=1 into r1(t) or s=8 into r2(s). That's what you calculated for the intersection point, yes? They had better both be the same.

Last edited:
Dick said:
You substituted correctly into the derivatives. That's fine. When they are asking for the intersection point (x,y,z) you should substitute t=1 into r1(t) or s=8 into r2(s). That's what you calculated for the intersection point, yes? They had better both be the same.

Thanks. I figured it out. I was just being retarded. My answers are (1,3,64) and 40degrees

Last edited:
Jaqsan said:
Thanks. I figured it out. I was just being retarded. My answers are (1,3,36) and 40degrees

I think you mean (1,3,64), right?

cepheid said:
I think you mean (1,3,64), right?

My bad. Exhibiting my retardness once again. (1,3,64) and 40 degrees.

1. How do you find the point of intersection between two vectors?

To find the point of intersection between two vectors, you need to set up a system of equations with the x, y, and z components of each vector. Then, solve for the variables to find the coordinates of the point of intersection.

2. Can you find the point of intersection between two curves without using vectors?

Yes, you can find the point of intersection between two curves using algebraic methods. This involves setting the equations of the curves equal to each other and solving for the variables.

3. What is the significance of finding the point of intersection between two curves?

The point of intersection between two curves represents the coordinates of a shared point on both curves. This point can be used to solve various problems in geometry, physics, and engineering.

4. Is it possible for two curves to have more than one point of intersection?

Yes, it is possible for two curves to have more than one point of intersection. This occurs when the curves intersect at multiple points along their paths.

5. Can the point of intersection between two curves be imaginary?

Yes, the point of intersection between two curves can be imaginary. This occurs when the curves do not intersect in real space, but their equations have a common solution in imaginary numbers.