Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Proof on Quasiperfect Numbers

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    A Quasiperfect number is any number for which the sum of it's divisors is equal to one minus twice the number, or a number where the following form is true,

σ(n)=2n+1

One of the well known and most difficult questions in mathematics is whether such numbers exist at all. I have created a rather interesting proof to show that quasiperfect numbers do not exist. I use a process of transformation to create a situation necessary for the existence of a quasiperfect number, and then show that such a situation is impossible, therefore disproving the possibility of a quasiperfect number.

View attachment On the Nonexistence of Quasiperfect Numbers.pdf

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2012 #2
    Why not use the same argument with n=2x+1 to prove that odd numbers do not exist?

4. Mar 5, 2012 #3
    Hi, Joseph,
    there is a problem when going from eq.8 to eq.9: [itex]1 - (h(n) - 2)[/itex] is not [itex]-(h(n)+1)[/itex] (which is negative), but [itex]3 - h(n)[/itex] (which is positive).

5. Mar 5, 2012 #4
    Which would mean that my proof is fallous.:redface: Oh, well back to the drawing board. Anyone have any ideas where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook