(A puzzle) The largest size cliques in n-grouping graphs

In summary, for any given n-grouping G, there are (n!)^(n-1) complementary n-groupings, and the total number of such cliques is (n^2)!/(n!)^(n+1). For n=2, there is only 1 clique--the whole graph of three vertices.
ygolo
(I apologize in advance for the abuse of the word "group" in this problem. It does not mean a group in the mathematical sense).

Imagine you have n^2 objects that need to be grouped in n groups of size n each. Let's call one such arrangement an "n-grouping."

You can create n-groupings in (n^2)!/(n!)^(n+1) ways (check me on this).

Now suppose you have one of these n-groupings, G1, and you would like to find a "complementary" n-grouping, G2. What I mean by this is that every group in G2 has exactly 1 object from each group of G1 (and vice versa--I believe it provable that if G2 is complementary to G1, then G1 is complementary to G2--check me on this).

Now, for any given any n-grouping G, there are (n!)^(n-1) complementary n-groupings (check me on this too).

Now imagine a graph where all the n-groupings are vertices, and where there is an edge between two n-groupings if and only if the two n-groupings are complementary.

My questions are:
1) What is the size of the largest clique?
2) How many such cliques are there?

For n=2, there is only 1 clique--the whole graph of three vertices. (This seems obvious to me, but check me on this one too)

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance!1) The size of the largest clique is (n!)^(n-1).2) The number of such cliques is (n^2)!/(n!)^(n+1).

Related to (A puzzle) The largest size cliques in n-grouping graphs

1. What is a "clique" in n-grouping graphs?

A clique in n-grouping graphs refers to a subset of vertices that are all connected to each other. In other words, every vertex in the clique is connected to every other vertex in the clique.

2. How do you determine the largest size cliques in n-grouping graphs?

The largest size cliques in n-grouping graphs can be determined by using algorithms such as the Bron-Kerbosch algorithm or the maximal clique enumeration algorithm. These algorithms systematically search through all possible subsets of vertices to find the largest cliques.

3. What is the significance of studying the largest size cliques in n-grouping graphs?

Studying the largest size cliques in n-grouping graphs can provide insights into the structure and complexity of these graphs. It can also have practical applications in fields such as social network analysis, where cliques represent tightly-knit groups of individuals.

4. Can the largest size cliques in n-grouping graphs change?

Yes, the largest size cliques in n-grouping graphs can change depending on the graph's structure and the grouping of vertices. Different grouping methods can result in different largest cliques.

5. How can the largest size cliques in n-grouping graphs be used in real-world problems?

The largest size cliques in n-grouping graphs can be used in various real-world problems such as community detection, pattern recognition, and data clustering. In these applications, the cliques can help identify groups or patterns within a larger dataset.