A question about a three-phase circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the addition of currents with different angles and the resulting magnitude. The speakers also mention the similar phases of S1 and V1 and the potential error in adding I2 to I1. They also mention the differing power factors of the loads.
Shloa4
Attached.
I'll be happy for some help here.
Thanks. :redface:

Attachments

• Question.pdf
    169.7 KB · Views: 248
Physics news on Phys.org
Shloa4 said:
For now, I am only focused on the magnitude.
So am I. :smile: You have added I₁ + I₂ without regard for their different angles.

oops.. :) but still, S1 and V1 are similar in phase, aren't they? And since that's the case, S/V yields magnitude only (on the real axis). Same for both loads. And since the phase becomes 0 for both I1 and I2 (which is wrong obviously, but I cannot figure out where exactly I miss a thing here) so I can add I2 to I1.
That's probably my problem here. Any idea?

What does "similar in phase" mean exactly http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/9631/icon5j.gif

The details are that one load has a leading pf and the other a lagging pf.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sure, I would be happy to help with your question about a three-phase circuit. Can you provide more details about the specific problem or concept you are struggling with? This will help me provide a more specific and helpful response. Additionally, it may be helpful to include any relevant diagrams or equations to better understand the problem. Looking forward to assisting you.

1. What is a three-phase circuit?

A three-phase circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of three voltage sources, each with a phase difference of 120 degrees. It is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings for its ability to deliver high power with less voltage drop.

2. How does a three-phase circuit work?

In a three-phase circuit, the three voltage sources are connected in a delta or wye configuration. This creates a balanced load, with each phase carrying an equal amount of current. The phase difference between the voltage sources allows for a constant supply of power, resulting in a smoother and more efficient operation.

3. What are the advantages of a three-phase circuit?

A three-phase circuit has several advantages over a single-phase circuit. These include higher power output, more efficient power transmission, and the ability to operate larger motors and machines. It also allows for a more balanced load distribution, reducing the risk of overloading and power disruptions.

4. What are the common components of a three-phase circuit?

The common components of a three-phase circuit include three voltage sources (such as generators or transformers), three-phase power lines, and load devices (such as motors or machines). Other components may include circuit breakers, fuses, and switches for safety and control purposes.

5. How do you calculate power in a three-phase circuit?

To calculate power in a three-phase circuit, you can use the formula P = √3 x V x I x cosθ, where P is power, V is voltage, I is current, and cosθ is the power factor. This formula takes into account the three phases and the power factor, which measures the efficiency of the circuit. Alternatively, you can also use a three-phase power analyzer to directly measure the power in a circuit.