What is the maximum line current for an electric vehicle charger?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 6K views
Skinbleu said:
We can consider the charger as a purely resistive load, since the power factor is 1.
That is quite an accomplishment! So you are saying that the switching power supplies in your chargers have very effective (and complicated and expensive) Power Factor Correction input circuitry?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Skinbleu said:
I agree that the current must be sized 125% of full load current.
That comment clearly contradicts:

Skinbleu said:
To size breakers:

Ib<= In <= Iz

Where:
Ib - circuit current
In - breaker current
Iz - conductor current
 
Averagesupernova said:
That comment clearly contradicts:
I said I agree, because I think it's the right thing to do. But the norm here is different, this 25% margin is not considered
 
berkeman said:
That is quite an accomplishment! So you are saying that the switching power supplies in your chargers have very effective (and complicated and expensive) Power Factor Correction input circuitry?
The chargers only rectify the alternating current into direct current to recharge the vehicle's battery. In this process we don't have inductive or capacitive loads.
 
Skinbleu said:
The chargers only rectify the alternating current into direct current to recharge the vehicle's battery. In this process we don't have inductive or capacitive loads.
Doesn't matter. Your Power Factor is terrible with just a rectifier (and I don't understand how you use just a rectifier for the charger circuit anyway; that's weird).

Do you know what Power Factor means? Do you know what the voltage and current waveforms look like for a simple rectifier circuit? Why do recifiers have a poor Power Factor?
 
berkeman said:
Doesn't matter. Your Power Factor is terrible with just a rectifier (and I don't understand how you use just a rectifier for the charger circuit anyway; that's weird).

Do you know what Power Factor means? Do you know what the voltage and current waveforms look like for a simple rectifier circuit? Why do recifiers have a poor Power Factor?
This more in-depth technical information only the charger manufacturer has, we buy the charger from a factory in Europe. I will show you some information that I have.
 
Attachments
  • Delete.PNG
    Delete.PNG
    35.4 KB · Views: 194
  • Delete2.PNG
    Delete2.PNG
    19.7 KB · Views: 202
I don't see anything about Power Factor in the datasheet pages (maybe I missed it?), but it looks like it can run off of all 3 phases too. Wouldn't that be a more balanced way to run the multiple chargers?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DaveE
After reading the data sheets you supplied, I note the following:
  1. Two different models are available: SIngle phase, and Three phase
  2. The Maximum Charging Power can be adjusted at installation time
  3. Overcurrent Protection can be 16A to 40A, probably depends on setting of Maximum Charging Power
  4. Maximum Line Current is 32A

Given 3 & 4 above, the Circuit Breaker should be 125% of Maximum Line Current.

Note also: The breaker short term withstand current should be 6 000A.
I do not know for sure but, that sounds like a heavier breaker than is usual in home or office use.


Cheers,
Tom