1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about a visual effect on a rotating prism

1. Nov 29, 2014 #1
    Hello folks,

I was playing with a rectangular prism 4x4x3 (almost a cube) and I was giving him a rotating movement with the hand over the table so I could see a visual effect I have seen many times in my life and now I remembered to ask about it.

So when I give to it an impulse and it start to rotate I can see very well defined smooth edges, well really a circular edge, with the actual vertex diffusal. In other words, like if it was a cylinder rotating with almost invisible vertex and edges.

I understand that we see the only constant points in the rotation move, this is the incircle (or in-crylinder) of the prism. The vertex only passes in discrete times over the same points so that is why it becomes diffusal.

However I want to know the mathematical/physical explanation of this.

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2014 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'm not quite sure what you mean. If I understand you correctly, what you are asking about is a function of the physiology of the human visual system rather than an intrinsic property of the prism.

4. Nov 29, 2014 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haven't you explained it already? What exactly is still unclear? You see the cylinder where there always is a part of the spinning prism. The rest is a mix of prism and background.

Here is a related puzzle, based on spinning stuff fast:

5. Nov 29, 2014 #4

Danger

Gold Member

A.T., you had better be prepared to provide me the solution to that... o_O

6. Nov 29, 2014 #5

I suppose... but only in a very lay way... There must be mathematics behind... :/

I am sorry for my language barriers :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook