A question about a visual effect on a rotating prism

In summary, the person sees a smooth edge on the surface of a spinning object, with the vertex diffusely located. They are not sure what the explanation for this is, but believe there must be some underlying mathematics.
Breo
Hello folks,

I was playing with a rectangular prism 4x4x3 (almost a cube) and I was giving him a rotating movement with the hand over the table so I could see a visual effect I have seen many times in my life and now I remembered to ask about it.

So when I give to it an impulse and it start to rotate I can see very well defined smooth edges, well really a circular edge, with the actual vertex diffusal. In other words, like if it was a cylinder rotating with almost invisible vertex and edges.

I understand that we see the only constant points in the rotation move, this is the incircle (or in-crylinder) of the prism. The vertex only passes in discrete times over the same points so that is why it becomes diffusal.

However I want to know the mathematical/physical explanation of this.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure what you mean. If I understand you correctly, what you are asking about is a function of the physiology of the human visual system rather than an intrinsic property of the prism.

Breo said:
Over I want to know the mathematical/physical explanation of this.
Haven't you explained it already? What exactly is still unclear? You see the cylinder where there always is a part of the spinning prism. The rest is a mix of prism and background.

Here is a related puzzle, based on spinning stuff fast:

A.T., you had better be prepared to provide me the solution to that... o_O

A.T. said:
Haven't you explained it already? What exactly is still unclear? You see the cylinder where there always is a part of the spinning prism. The rest is a mix of prism and background.

Here is a related puzzle, based on spinning stuff fast:

I suppose... but only in a very lay way... There must be mathematics behind... :/

I am sorry for my language barriers :P

1. What is a rotating prism and how does it create visual effects?

A rotating prism is a three-dimensional shape made of transparent material, usually glass, with angled surfaces that can rotate around a central axis. When light passes through the prism and reflects off its surfaces, it creates a visual effect called dispersion, where different colors of light are separated and appear to form a rainbow.

2. What types of visual effects can be created with a rotating prism?

Some common visual effects that can be created with a rotating prism include rainbows, color shifts, and reflections. The specific effect will vary depending on the angle and speed of rotation, as well as the type of light source used.

3. Can a rotating prism be used in photography or videography?

Yes, a rotating prism can be used in photography or videography to add unique and creative visual effects to images and videos. By placing the prism in front of the camera lens and adjusting its rotation, photographers and videographers can achieve stunning and dynamic shots.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a rotating prism?

Yes, it is important to handle and use a rotating prism with caution. The edges of the prism can be sharp, so it is recommended to wear gloves when handling it. Also, be careful not to shine bright light directly into your eyes or the eyes of others as it can cause temporary blindness.

5. Where can I purchase a rotating prism?

A rotating prism can be purchased at most art supply stores or online. It is important to make sure the prism is made of high-quality materials and is properly calibrated for the desired effect. Some prisms also come with adjustable speeds and angles for more control over the visual effects created.