1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about the fields D and H for fields in matter

1. Jan 12, 2015 #1
    Let me give you an example of a reasoning I made in a simple case. Afterwards comes the question:

Start of reasoning.

Consider two standard ideal capacitor plates with a dielectric material in between them. Let's call the external field caused by the plates ##\vec{E_{ext}}## and the average macroscopic internal field caused by polarisation ##\vec{E_{int}}## The total field at any point is then on average ##\vec{E_{tot}}=\vec{E_{ext}}+\vec{E_{int}}##

One can prove that for homogenous polarisation ##\vec{E_{int}}=-\frac{\vec{P}}{\epsilon_{0}}## and thus ##\vec{E_{tot}}=\vec{E_{ext}}-\frac{\vec{P}}{\epsilon_{0}}##

Let's now look at the ##\vec{D}## field at any point in the material. The definition is ##\vec{D}=\epsilon_{0}\vec{E_{tot}}+\vec{P}##. Plugging the previous expression into D, results in:

##\vec{D}=\epsilon_{0} \vec{E_{ext}}##

End of reasoning.

QUESTION:

1) So in this case ##\vec{D}## seems to be not only independent of polarization but really equal to the external field up to a constant. Is this the correct way to interpret the ##\vec{D}##-field, as something that is equal to the E field that is caused by sources of free charges and neglect any E fields caused by polarization?

2) If I replace D with H and E with B , is the same interpretation correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The polarization changes E, and D is defined specifically to be invariant of that (as long as the setup is as nice as yours).
    D with B and E with H. Yes, that is not intuitive.

Edit: removed weird sentence fragment

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  4. Jan 12, 2015 #3
    May I ask what you mean by your last line? Is H no longer invariant in nice setups?

5. Jan 12, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

B takes the place of D, and H the one of E, so yes.

6. Jan 12, 2015 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In general, the "source" of D is not just the free charges.

The polarization P will also have an effect on the what the value of D will be. For certain simple cases with lots of symmetry, D does end up being the same as if you treated only the free charges as "producing" D. But, in general, this is not true. Examples where D depends on the properties of the dielectric as well as the free charges can be found in standard textbooks.

It is true that the divergence of D is given by ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{D} = \rho_{free}##, but that equation is not sufficient to find D except for simple configurations with sufficient symmetry. In general, a vector field is determined by both its divergence and curl. You can see that the curl of D depends on the curl of P. So, P can act as a "source" for the curl of D.

7. Jan 12, 2015 #6
    Thanks. Same reasoning applies to B and H right?

8. Jan 12, 2015 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right.

9. Jan 13, 2015 #8
    May I then ask about the formula (assuming no E field is changing) ''closed loop integral of H'' = sum of macroscopic currents through the loop.

This formula seems to only care about what the macro current is through the loop. For example, I take a toroid-shaped solenoid and put material inside this solenoid and then take the loop integral of H. I will find that the field H does not depend on the material inside the solenoid and only on the properties of the solenoid itself. The previous poster seemed to imply this was the opposite case for H fields. Am I misunderstanding something?

10. Jan 13, 2015 #9

mfb

2016 Award

You have a different setup now, a solenoid is not a capacitor.
    H does not change in that case, but B does.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted