A question about where shall I ask this type of questions

Florian Geyer
Hello esteemed members,

Recently I have been using this site for getting help, and I have found it very helpful, thanks to the helpful members who I may not be able to thank them fully.

However, part of my method of studying is to do a self-contained study guide or summary or notes... to the textbook I am studying, recently I have implemented ChatGPT in my notes by make it review my notes, and it was wonderful. However, in many cases I think I shall show it to some real physicists so that I can be sure that I am doing well, My questions are:

1. Am I allowed to do this in this forum?

2. If the answer is yes, then in which section of the forum shall I post my study notes.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We do not allow AI chatbots as references in the technical PF forums. That's in the rules:

Greg Bernhardt said:
ChatGPT and AI-generated text
  • Posting AI-generated text without attribution is categorically disallowed and will lead to a warning and an eventual permanent ban with continued use.
  • Answering a science or math question with AI-generated text, even with attribution, is not allowed. AI-generated text apps like ChatGPT are not valid sources.
  • Threads about the technology and cultural impact behind AI like ChatGPT are allowed
  • Usage of AI-generated text output in entertainment threads in General Discussion with attribution is allowed.

Likes Vanadium 50
Florian Geyer said:
ChatGPT ... was wonderful.
How do you know if you are just learning physics? How do you know if what it outputs is correct or even logical?

If the answer is "you guys can tell me", as you've been told, we don't do that here.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
We do not allow AI chatbots as references in the technical PF forums. That's in the rules:
Vanadium 50 said:
How do you know if you are just learning physics? How do you know if what it outputs is correct or even logical?

Do you mean that I cannot say the word Chat*** or I cannot use it and past what it tells me here?
I think I need to clarify more the way I am using it, first of all I do everything by myself, I highlight the textbook, I write key points, I search for any ambiguous points on the internet, if the text I am using is not well organized (like some of the lecture notes I have studied in university) then i ask him to explain to me... well why do I think it is doing well? because it gives me a consisted explanations in many cases with equations and explain each point, since it does not raise any contradiction with my previous knowledge nor with the material I am studying then I consider it doing well.

Well, going back to my notes, I ask "the thing" to do many things (btw in the rules you have mentioned I understand there is no problem in talking about this thing, rather the problem is when I past from it in this forum) these things like:
1. Explaining some ambiguous points.
2. Checking my notes... can anyone tell me what is wrong with asking him to checking my notes!!! in many cases it added some insights, other times it just made my notations clearer, or just organized my latex. Does this mean that I have not done the notes myself!!! and in this case where I do the entire notes and it just made some checking. cannot I still share it here in this forum? if this is the law then fine I will share them without its checking, but I still things asking "the thing" to do a check is a good thing for the the previous mentioned reasons.

I do not say that it is entirely enough to make "the thing" as the main resource for learning physics, I just consider it as a good help.
Well we are using widely used textbooks written by authors who are meticulous about making everything clear and reviewed by corps of academics, well, now is there a problem in using additional help after this? what is wrong with this?
Regarding how can I understand that the output is logical, well because it consistent with the subject... is not this enough?
How can I understand that the output is correct... well mostly when I ask "the thing" to help me, I know exactly from where I begin and where is my misunderstanding, and what I end, because this is written in the textbook... the only thing I ask it is to help me understand this.
Now after the previous.
1- I think I have made it clear how I am using it... just as a help for understanding a textbook, Not as a resource.
2- Am I allowed to share my notes with the check of "the thing" or without it?
3- For goodness sake who can answer my questions if I have tens of them everyday? will you not consider this as overdependent on the forum?

I didn't read your whole reply. You may not ask us if what you have found in your AI chatbot search is correct.

Vanadium 50 said:

If the answer is "you guys can tell me", as you've been told, we don't do that here.
oh now I understood you
it seems to me now that I have to post my notes before it is edited by "the thing", again the question is: is it allowed to write some notes here in this forum and ask if they are correct? as long as I have done them by myself?

OP has contacted me via PM, so I will closed this public thread for a bit during our PM conversation...

Likes Florian Geyer

1. Where should I ask questions about general knowledge?

You can ask questions about general knowledge on educational websites, forums like Quora or Reddit, or specialized platforms like Stack Exchange. Libraries and educational institutions also provide resources and experts who can help answer such queries.

2. Where should I ask technical or scientific questions?

For technical or scientific questions, consider using platforms like Stack Overflow for programming queries, or specific Stack Exchange sites like Physics, Chemistry, or Biology for science-related questions. ResearchGate is also a good platform for more advanced scientific inquiries.

3. Where is the best place to ask personal advice questions?

Personal advice questions are best asked on forums that focus on personal development or social interaction, such as Reddit in relevant subreddits, or on websites like Quora. Make sure to seek advice from platforms that respect privacy if the question is particularly sensitive.

4. Where should I ask questions about local information or services?

For local information or services, local Facebook groups or Nextdoor are excellent resources. These platforms allow you to connect with people in your area who have local knowledge and experience. Local government or community websites can also be useful.

5. Where can I ask questions about legal or medical issues?

For legal or medical issues, it's best to consult with professionals directly. However, for general information, websites like WebMD for health issues or Avvo for legal matters can provide basic information. Remember that these sites do not replace professional advice but can be used for gaining general knowledge.