A question on Newton's 3rd Law

• Thread starter DiamondGeezer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, at t=0 a small mass is ejected from the larger mass and it will exhibit SHM about the equilibrium position.
DiamondGeezer
I don't have a diagram for this but I hope the description is vivid enough.

Imagine a mass M on a horizontal smooth surface (ie no friction). The mass M is between two bars equidistant from M and connected to the mass via two springs (if you imagine a square mass with springs attached to the corners which connect to the fixed bars). The springs are ideal springs of spring constant [tex]k[/tex] and the mass M is sitting at the equilibrium position

At some time [tex]t=0[/tex] a small mass m is ejected from the larger mass M and embeds itself in putty in one of the fixed bars.

The mass (M-m) therefore will react to the ejection of m by moving in the opposite direction and will exhibit SHM about the equilibrium position.

I guess that if the mass m leaves the larger mass M at speed u, then the law of conservation of momentum would mean that the remain mass will recoil at velocity v such that

[tex] mu + (M-m)v=0[/tex]

Is this correct?

What would be the equation of motion of the mass (M-m)?

Physics news on Phys.org
At this very moment(t=0),the mass(M-m) will recoil at the speed v0=mu/(M-m).Then from now on,the remain mass can be regarded as a spring oscillator,whose initial speed is v0.

If you want to know the motion equation of the remain mass(Let's call it M').You need the knowledge of trigonometric functions.

For M',the energy conservation equation is:
0.5(M-m)v02=0.5×2k×A2(A:amplitude)---------(1)
while ω=(2k/m)0.5--------------(2)
and x=Asin(ωt)----------(3)
Now you can get an function x(t) by (1)-(3).I'm sorry that I cannot write the result here for it's a little complicated.

As you have got x=x(t),you can write down v=v(t) and even a=a(t) easily by derivation.

Last edited:
[tex]\xi[/tex]=Asin(kx-wt) is the general eqn.
To get A equate initial K.Eof (M-m) to the spring energy when the K.E of (M-m) becomes zero. "w" is the angular frequency and "k" is the wave no of the wavw describing the motion of (M-m).Hope I helped...

1. What is Newton's 3rd Law?

Newton's 3rd Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that whenever an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. What are some examples of Newton's 3rd Law?

Some examples of Newton's 3rd Law include a person pushing against a wall, a balloon being filled with air, and a car accelerating forward.

3. How is Newton's 3rd Law applied in everyday life?

Newton's 3rd Law is applied in everyday life in many ways, such as when we walk, swim, or ride a bike. It is also important in engineering and design, as it helps us understand how forces affect structures and machines.

4. Can Newton's 3rd Law be observed in space?

Yes, Newton's 3rd Law can be observed in space. For example, when a rocket is launched, the force of the rocket pushing down on the ground is equal to the force of the ground pushing back on the rocket, allowing it to lift off.

5. Are there any exceptions to Newton's 3rd Law?

There are no exceptions to Newton's 3rd Law. It applies to all objects and forces, whether they are in motion or at rest, and in all directions. It is a fundamental principle of physics that has been proven through countless experiments and observations.