1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Question on Notation about Linear Algebra

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1
    Could I write
    v = 4i + 3j -2k as
    v =
    [ 4 |
    | 3 | * I_3
    | -2 ]

were I_3 is the 3x3 identity matrix and the other thing it's multiplied by is a 3x1 matrix of values 4,3,-2

I also had a question about the notation
    f(x) = x^2 + 3
    can be written as
    f: x |-> x^2 + 3

can I write vectors in this matter as well if instead
    v = 4x^2 i + 3x j -2x k
    as
    v: x |-> 4x^2 i + 3x j - 2x k
    or something like
    v: x |->
    [ 4x |
    | 3 | * x * I_3
    | -2 ]

I'm sort of confused by
    f: x |-> and just want to make sure I'm applying it correctly and am wondering if I can use the identity matrix instead of the unit vectors?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Sure, but I think it adds needless complexity.
    This looks OK. Your notation is saying that v maps a number x to a vector-valued function.
    I don't see anything wrong with this, but it seems like overkill.

4. Jan 2, 2012 #3
    Can I write
    v = 4i + 3j -2k
    as v =
    [ 4 |
    | 3 |
    | -2 ]
    or this way
    v = [ 4 3 -2]?

I believe this writing it like this would take less time. All you need is three numbers and two brackets [ ]. Writing it like this 4i + 3j -2k requires you write three numbers, three unit vectors, and any plus signs that might be needed. I'm just not sure that
    v = [ 4 3 -2] = 4i + 3j -2k is true or maybe if it was a 3x1 matrix instead of a 1x3 this be true? If either of these are I rather would because it's less writing.

5. Jan 3, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I agree with you about the i, j, k notation taking more effort to write, and usually write vectors in this form: <4, 3, -2>. If they really need to be column vectors, you can add a T superscript (for transpose), like this: <4, 3, -2>T.

6. Jan 3, 2012 #5
    I hate the i, j, k mainly because my handwriting is terrible and I find i and k to be incredibly hard to write without making everything look messy

nono, it's symbol, domain, codomain, correspondance
    [itex]f: \Re \rightarrow \Re ; x \rightarrow x^2+3[/itex]
    the script R is both the doman and the codomain (R+, the positive reals is technically the codomain(technically the complex numbers is the domain and the codomain))
    the x -> x^2 + 3 is the rule of correspondance

if you really wanted to you could but there isn't really much point since you'd end up writing 6 extra zeros

Also you can write [itex]\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{pmatrix}[/itex] as [itex]\begin{pmatrix} x & y & z\end{pmatrix}^T[/itex] or [itex]\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{pmatrix}^T[/itex] as [itex]\begin{pmatrix} x & y & z\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook