Understanding Newton's Notation for Derivatives of Velocity and Frequency

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Newton's notation for derivatives and how it applies to the equation for velocity as a quotient of displacement and time. The speed of light, a constant, is also mentioned in relation to frequency and period. The person is unsure about using the dot notation correctly.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

If velocity = displacement (time)
or
x = dx/dt

were you put a dot above the x using Newtons notation were you indicate a derivative with reference to time with a dot above the symbol

so I was like
speed of light = lambda (frequency)
or

lambda with a dot above it = d(lambda)d(frequency)

is this correct because this all the speed of light is? Sense frequency is simply 1/t?

c = lambda frequency
c = lambda/period
lambda (with a dot above it) = d(labmda)d(frequency)

I just never got Newtons notation with the dot thing am I doing this correctly?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The dot is there for the derivative with respect to time only.

So
[tex] \dot{f} = \frac{d}{d t} f [/tex]

GreenPrint said:

Homework Statement

If velocity = displacement (time)
velocity is a quotient. The way you have it above, it looks like a product.
GreenPrint said:
or
x = dx/dt

were you put a dot above the x using Newtons notation were you indicate a derivative with reference to time with a dot above the symbol

so I was like
speed of light = lambda (frequency)
There's no deriviative involved here. The speed of light, c, is a constant.
GreenPrint said:
or

lambda with a dot above it = d(lambda)d(frequency)

is this correct because this all the speed of light is? Sense frequency is simply 1/t?

c = lambda frequency
c = lambda/period
lambda (with a dot above it) = d(labmda)d(frequency)

I just never got Newtons notation with the dot thing am I doing this correctly?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. What is the significance of Newton's notation for derivatives?

Newton's notation for derivatives is a mathematical shorthand that allows us to easily express the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable. It is a powerful tool in the study of physics and other sciences, as it allows us to analyze and understand how quantities change over time or in relation to each other.

2. How does Newton's notation differ from Leibniz's notation for derivatives?

Newton's notation uses a dot above the variable to indicate the derivative, while Leibniz's notation uses a prime symbol. Additionally, Newton's notation is more commonly used in physics, while Leibniz's notation is more commonly used in mathematics.

3. What is the notation for the derivative of velocity and frequency?

The notation for the derivative of velocity is and the notation for the derivative of frequency is . These notations can also be written as d𝑣/d𝑡 and d𝑓/d𝑡, respectively.

4. How does understanding derivatives of velocity and frequency relate to understanding motion?

The derivatives of velocity and frequency allow us to analyze the rate at which an object is changing its position or frequency, respectively. This is essential in understanding the motion of objects, as it helps us determine how fast an object is moving or how often a cycle of motion occurs.

5. Are there any real-world applications of understanding derivatives of velocity and frequency?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of understanding derivatives of velocity and frequency. For example, in engineering, derivatives of velocity and frequency are used in the design of machines and structures. In finance, derivatives of stock prices can be used to predict future trends. In medicine, understanding the derivatives of heart rate can help diagnose heart conditions. The applications are vast and varied, making it an important concept to understand for many fields of study.