A question that has been plaguing me

• Thread starter TFAccidents
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the theoretical possibility of traveling at the speed of light and its implications on time perception. It also touches on the relationship between velocity, orbital distance, and gravitational attraction. The experts suggest that it is not possible for anything with mass to travel at the speed of light and that the concept of time may not apply at that speed. They also explain that increasing orbital speed would require adjustments to maintain the same orbit.
TFAccidents
Hey everyone,

This is my first post. I wanted to ask a pretty random question about speed of light travel that I hope someone can answer. I know enough about physics to know why traveling at the speed of light isn't possible, but for the sake of this theoretical question let's assume that we can.

So, as you increase your speed up to the speed of light, the relative time that you perceive is slowed down according to how close you are to the limit. So my question is, if you could travel at the speed of light would travel seem instantaneous to you? Since time wouldn't be passing, would you not perceive the approximate 8.3 minutes it would take for you to travel to the sun?

My apologies if this is an easy question, or if it has been answered somewhere else.

Second quick question, if the speed of the Earth around the sun increased would gravity increase? I think the force we would feel might increase, but I'm not sure that to say gravity would increase would be the right way to look at it. Any elucidation on either of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Matthew

Physics news on Phys.org
The first question has no real answer. The most commonly given response is that the question itself is pointless because it is not physical. Nothing (except light itself) can ever travel at the speed of light. It will take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate anything with mass to the speed of light. What happens at that speed is unknown and most likely cannot be known.

As for the second question, if the orbiting speed were to increase for the Earth, either the radius of the orbit would have to change or there would need to be a stronger gravitation attraction for it to stay in orbit. Note that I am not saying that increasing the speed of orbit would actually increase gravitation attraction, but rather that greater attraction is needed for Earth to stay in the same orbit as now.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yuqing said:
It will take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate anything with mass to the speed of light.

Fortunately the reaction mass is also approaching infinity, which means that the rocket will still have the same subjective acceleration rate regardless of the absolute speed.

Length contracts, too, so as long as you were moving towards your destination when you started, as soon as you hit the speed of light, you'd be at top of your destination...

... and the place you came from.

TFAccidents said:
<snip>
So, as you increase your speed up to the speed of light, the relative time that you perceive is slowed down according to how close you are to the limit. So my question is, if you could travel at the speed of light would travel seem instantaneous to you? Since time wouldn't be passing, would you not perceive the approximate 8.3 minutes it would take for you to travel to the sun?

My apologies if this is an easy question, or if it has been answered somewhere else.

Second quick question, if the speed of the Earth around the sun increased would gravity increase? I think the force we would feel might increase, but I'm not sure that to say gravity would increase would be the right way to look at it. Any elucidation on either of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Matthew

Yuqing said:
The first question has no real answer. The most commonly given response is that the question itself is pointless because it is not physical. Nothing (except light itself) can ever travel at the speed of light. It will take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate anything with mass to the speed of light. What happens at that speed is unknown and most likely cannot be known.

As for the second question, if the orbiting speed were to increase for the Earth, either the radius of the orbit would have to change or there would need to be a stronger gravitation attraction for it to stay in orbit. Note that I am not saying that increasing the speed of orbit would actually increase gravitation attraction, but rather that greater attraction is needed for Earth to stay in the same orbit as now.

I partially disagree with saying it's unknowable. It may be argued that provided a photon does not interact with anything else, it will exist forever. I think this may suggest that time does not pass from its point of view, so to speak.

The bold text is correct. With increased velocity, orbital distance would increase. As it moves away, gravitational influence from the sun would decrease, but I think a proportional increase in centripetal force balances that out if I recall my university physics correctly.

1. What is the meaning behind "A question that has been plaguing me"?

The phrase "A question that has been plaguing me" typically refers to a question or problem that has been on someone's mind for a long time and is causing them frustration or worry. It suggests that the question is persistent and difficult to find an answer to.

2. How do I know if a question is plaguing me or if it's just a passing thought?

If a question keeps coming back to your mind and you find yourself constantly thinking about it, even after extended periods of time, it may be considered plaguing you. Sometimes, these questions may also cause you to lose sleep or affect your daily activities, indicating that they are more than just passing thoughts.

3. Can "A question that has been plaguing me" be answered by someone else?

Yes, it is possible for someone else to provide an answer to a question that has been plaguing you. Sometimes, talking to friends, family, or experts in a particular field can help provide insights and solutions to your question. It's important to seek out different perspectives and not just rely on your own thoughts and ideas.

4. How can I find answers to "A question that has been plaguing me" on my own?

There are various ways to find answers to a question that has been plaguing you on your own. You can do research, read books, attend seminars or workshops, and engage in critical thinking and problem-solving techniques. It's also helpful to break the question down into smaller, more manageable parts and analyze each part individually.

5. Is it possible for "A question that has been plaguing me" to never be answered?

Yes, it is possible for a question to never be fully answered. Some questions may not have a definitive answer or may require further research and exploration. In such cases, it's important to accept that there may not be a clear answer and focus on finding ways to manage the question or problem in a healthy manner.