A questions for tribologists re viscosity grades

In summary, the conversation discusses how to choose the proper grease for lubrication purposes. The chart from the article on MachineryLubrication.com shows the viscosity suited for different operating temperatures and speed ratings. The author also mentions that for bearings, the speed factor and operating temperature can determine the best consistency or NLGI grade for an application. It is noted that higher speed factors require thicker consistency greases, which may seem counterintuitive. This could be due to the generation of heat at higher speeds, which the thicker consistency helps to prevent. The term "speed factor" refers to the speed of the application.
tr888
I'm just a layman trying to understand some information and a chart I'm reading about viscosity as it relates to practical lubrication choices.

There's an article here at MachineryLubrication.com on how to choose the proper grease.

First, I would like to make sure I am reading this chart from that article correctly (ignore the arrow pointing at ISO22).

Backup_200509_lubeselect-fig1.gif

At the top left corner of the chart, at ISO grade 5, we have viscosity suited for a narrow range of applications, those with an operating temperature from approx -40C to 25C and a DN factor of ~190,000 to 1,000,000; and at the bottom right corner of the chart, at ISO grade 460, we have viscosity suited for a narrow range of applications, those with an operating temperature of roughly 100C to 120C, and a speed-rating of roughly 10,000 to 25,000; and in the middle of the chart, at say ISO 32, we have viscosity suited for a very broad range, from 20C to 110C and with a speed rating of 10,000 to 1,000,000.

Second question. The author writes:

For bearings, speed factor and operating temperature can be used to determine the best consistency or NLGI grade for a given application. It may seem counterintuitive, but higher speed factors require higher consistency greases.[my emphasis]

Why is a thicker consistency required for higher-speed applications? (I read "higher" = thicker, less "runny".) Is that because higher speeds generate more heat and the thickness is meant to keep the grease from getting too "runny" . Or is it a question of force and not heat?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Does "speed factor" mean "speed"?

1. What is the purpose of viscosity grades in tribology?

Viscosity grades are used to classify the thickness or flow resistance of oils and lubricants, which is important in determining their suitability for specific applications.

2. How are viscosity grades determined?

Viscosity grades are determined through standardized testing methods, such as the kinematic viscosity test, which measures the rate of flow of a fluid at a certain temperature.

3. What do the numbers in viscosity grades represent?

The numbers in viscosity grades represent the fluid's viscosity, with lower numbers indicating lower viscosity and higher numbers indicating higher viscosity. For example, a 10W-30 oil has a lower viscosity than a 20W-50 oil.

4. Why are there different viscosity grades for different applications?

Different applications require different levels of viscosity to function effectively. For example, a car engine requires a thinner oil to flow easily and reduce friction, while a heavy-duty industrial machine may require a thicker oil to withstand high temperatures and pressures.

5. Can viscosity grades be mixed?

It is generally not recommended to mix viscosity grades, as it can affect the overall performance and protection of the lubricant. It is best to use a lubricant with the recommended viscosity grade for your specific application.