A quick conception question Newtonian physics

In summary, Newtonian physics, also known as classical mechanics, is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of objects at rest or in motion. It is based on three fundamental laws proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. Newton is considered one of the most influential scientists in history for developing these laws, as well as making significant contributions to the study of gravity, optics, and calculus. The three laws of motion in Newtonian physics are the law of inertia, the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, and the principle of action and reaction. However, Newtonian physics has limitations in explaining the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, and it does not account for the effects of relativity and quantum
quantumtron
i was having an argument with my friend.

He claims that acceleration for object that is lighter, let say a stone (1000kg) and ball (1kg). If we were to throw them up in the sky with the same initial speed, their acceleration would always be 9.81ms^2 (depending on sign conventions). Am i right to say that?

My friend claims that the acceleration for the lighter object would be greater...

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right. Your friend is wrong (assuming we're neglecting wind resistance).

1. What is Newtonian physics?

Newtonian physics, also known as classical mechanics, is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of objects at rest or in motion. It is based on three fundamental laws proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. How did Newton contribute to the development of physics?

Sir Isaac Newton is considered one of the most influential scientists in history. He developed the three laws of motion, which laid the foundation for classical mechanics. He also made significant contributions to the study of gravity, optics, and calculus.

3. What are the three laws of motion in Newtonian physics?

The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law relates the force applied to an object to its mass and acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

4. Are there any limitations to Newtonian physics?

Yes, Newtonian physics is limited to the macroscopic world and cannot fully explain the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It also does not take into account the effects of relativity and quantum mechanics.

5. Where is Newtonian physics applied in everyday life?

Newtonian physics is applied in various fields, including engineering, mechanics, and astronomy. It is used to design structures, vehicles, and machines, as well as to predict the movement of planets and celestial bodies.