1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A quick question about U238 vs U235

1. Mar 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Uranium has two naturally occurring isotopes. U_238 has a natural abundance of 99.3% and U_235has an abundance of 0.7%. It is the rarer U_235 that is needed for nuclear reactors. The isotopes are separated by forming uranium hexafluoride UF_6, which is a gas, then allowing it to diffuse through a series of porous membranes. 235UF_6 has a slightly larger rms speed than 238UF_6 and diffuses slightly faster. Many repetitions of this procedure gradually separate the two isotopes. What is the ratio of the rms speed of 238UF_6? to that of 238UF_6 ?

2. Relevant equations

The relevant equation is only this.

V_rms = ([3*k_b*T]/m)^(1/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt thus far is

V_rms_1/V_rms_2 = solution ; Simple right?

Let's go further...

1u= 1.6691729*10^-27

This has come out wrong several times. I believe my error lies in converting the masses somehow since it's the only possible variable. Sadly I don't have a strong background in chem or working with these. Help would be very appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2007 #2
    Since 3*k_b*T will be the same for both of the uranium isotopes you could ignore it and leave it as a variable 'A' or just completely remove it.

Then you could get an easier formula V_rms = (A/m)^1/2

When you set the ratio of V_rms_1 / V_rms_2 just go ahead and cancel the A values out and the formula you get will look better. (And again, to form a ratio you will not need to convert amu units to kg, a ratio is unitless and as long as you have the same mass units for both isotopes the equation will yield the same results)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?