Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A red herring is a debating tactic that seeks to divert an opponent

1. Sep 24, 2010 #1
    A "red herring" is a debating tactic that seeks to divert an opponent

From wiki:

'A "red herring" is a debating tactic that seeks to divert an opponent. A digression can, similarly, be a verbal tactic of diversion, but has no place in a serious debate; and the diversion of digression may also be in play'

And I must add:

The wormhole(wormH) has been called a "red herring" by DaveC and I agree; as
    it is a diversion from the "normal" concerns of blackhole(BH) speculations. So, I
    must also say that "red herrings" attract "red herrings". Fact of life.

Thirty days ago I favored dismissal of the "Stargate" bridge; but after reading wiki's and their links, I'm not so sure anymore. Instant, horizon to horizon flow through a wormH has an obvious symmetry, so what might be conserved?...Input and output entropies are what might be conserved. And the only way to effectively conserve entropy is not to damage the traveler in ANY way. Weightless free-fall is an extremely non-invasive choice of mechanism and I have
    chosen this mode as a way for any particle to cross the BH horizon. I've got problems with discarding the singularity in favor of a wormH, but my intuitive approach allows me to disregard that for now, and I've never taken the "singularity" seriously, anyway. I don't like Hawking radiation(HR) either. IE, HR is advertised as coming from the inside of the
    BH horizon, but there is reason to conclude that the pair-production is on our side of the
    BH horizon and is just another example of unstable orbits outside (but near) the horizon;
    our side.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2
    Re: Wormholes?

Kip Thorne has this to say in BLACK HOLES AND TIME WARPS 1994
    Roger Penrose has a sophisticated discussion in his ROAD TO REALITY, 30.6, where he
    [ discusses the fact that the worldline for such a traveler is not timelike everywhere] points out theoretically that negative energy densities might hold open a wormhole long enough for passage....He does not take such a possibility seriously and believes most other physicsts concur....

4. Sep 25, 2010 #3

Found the view of Leonard Susskind, from THE BLACK HOLE WAR, 2008: (70-71)

5. Sep 25, 2010 #4

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook