A relation in "Scattering Amplitudes in Gauge Theory....", Elvang et al

In summary: I see your point. This is why I had checked that they had used exactly that expression in their following steps to obtain other results.
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
If anyone is familiar with the calculation of scattering amplitudes using momentum twistors. I am working through the book "Scattering Amplitudes in Gauge Theory and Gravity" by Elvang and Huang.

I am completely stumped by one step that should be simple. My question is about Eq. (5.45). My question is on the last step, which is

[tex] \biggl( |i \rangle^{\dot{b}} ~\langle i-1|_{\dot{a}} ~ - ~ |i-1 \rangle^{\dot{b}} \, \langle i |_{\dot{a}} \biggr) y_i^{\dot{a} a} = \langle i-1, i \rangle \, y_i^{\dot{b}a} [/tex]

I am stumped, conservation of momentum or the Schouten identity does not help here.

I can provide more details with the various quantities here, but probably someone already quite familiar with the notation will be able to help.

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
Do the authors of the book know how to infer this identity?

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Do the authors of the book know how to infer this identity?
I assume they do :-) . But even if they don't, it should be provable. The problem is that I don't even see how it is true, let alone how to prove it. If we just pick some values for the indices [itex] a, \dot{b} [/itex], I don't see how the two sides are equal. But they use it in the following to obtain key equations, so I am confused.

nrqed said:
If anyone is familiar with the calculation of scattering amplitudes using momentum twistors. I am working through the book "Scattering Amplitudes in Gauge Theory and Gravity" by Elvang and Huang.

I am completely stumped by one step that should be simple. My question is about Eq. (5.45). My question is on the last step, which is

[tex] \biggl( |i \rangle^{\dot{b}} ~\langle i-1|_{\dot{a}} ~ - ~ |i-1 \rangle^{\dot{b}} \, \langle i |_{\dot{a}} \biggr) y_i^{\dot{a} a} = \langle i-1, i \rangle \, y_i^{\dot{b}a} [/tex]

I am stumped, conservation of momentum or the Schouten identity does not help here.

I can provide more details with the various quantities here, but probably someone already quite familiar with the notation will be able to help.
I think I have figured it out. Plugging in specific values for the indices actually gives that the two sides are equal, I was making mistakes with the sign conventions of the epsilon tensor.And to prove this, one can do the following: Let's consider the expression inside the parenthesis. First, I contract with an arbitrary bra [itex] \langle r |_{\dot{b}} [/itex] on the lhs to get

[tex]
\langle r ,i \rangle ~\langle i-1|_{\dot{a}} ~ - ~ \langle r,i-1 \rangle\, \langle i |_{\dot{a}} [/tex]

Now , after using [itex] \langle r, i \rangle = - \langle i,r \rangle [/itex] and using the Schouten identity, this is

[tex] \langle i-1,i \rangle~ \langle r |_{\dot{a}} [/tex]
Now I write this as

[tex]
\langle i-1,i \rangle~\delta_{\dot{a}}^{ \dot{b}} \, \langle r |_{\dot{b}}
[/tex]
So finally,

[tex]
\biggl( |i \rangle^{\dot{b}} ~\langle i-1|_{\dot{a}} ~ - ~ |i-1 \rangle^{\dot{b}} \, \langle i |_{\dot{a}} \biggr)
= \langle i-1,i \rangle~\delta_{\dot{a}}^{ \dot{b}}
[/tex]

This completes the proof.

Cheers

• Informative
Likes ohwilleke and atyy
nrqed said:
I assume they do :-) . But even if they don't, it should be provable. The problem is that I don't even see how it is true, let alone how to prove it. If we just pick some values for the indices [itex] a, \dot{b} [/itex], I don't see how the two sides are equal. But they use it in the following to obtain key equations, so I am confused.
Well mistakes can and will happen...
But happy for you that you found a derivation.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Well mistakes can and will happen...
But happy for you that you found a derivation.
I see your point. This is why I had checked that they had used exactly that expression in their following steps to obtain other results.

Cheers!

1. What is the main focus of "Scattering Amplitudes in Gauge Theory" by Elvang et al?

The main focus of this paper is to explore the relationship between scattering amplitudes and gauge theory, specifically in the context of quantum field theory.

2. What are scattering amplitudes and how are they related to gauge theory?

Scattering amplitudes are mathematical quantities that describe the probability of particles scattering off each other. They are related to gauge theory because gauge theory is used to describe the interactions between particles, which is essential in calculating scattering amplitudes.

3. What is the significance of studying scattering amplitudes in gauge theory?

Studying scattering amplitudes in gauge theory can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and interactions between particles. It also has practical applications in particle physics experiments and can lead to new insights and discoveries.

4. What are some of the key findings in "Scattering Amplitudes in Gauge Theory"?

The paper discusses various techniques for calculating scattering amplitudes in gauge theory, including the use of on-shell methods and the color-kinematics duality. It also presents a new approach for computing amplitudes using the spinor-helicity formalism.

5. How does "Scattering Amplitudes in Gauge Theory" contribute to the field of theoretical physics?

This paper contributes to the field of theoretical physics by providing a comprehensive overview of the current state of research on scattering amplitudes in gauge theory. It also introduces new techniques and approaches that can potentially advance our understanding of fundamental interactions and lead to new discoveries in particle physics.