• A
  • Thread starter nrqed
  • Start date
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

If anyone is familiar with the calculation of scattering amplitudes using momentum twistors. I am working through the book "Scattering Amplitudes in Gauge Theory and Gravity" by Elvang and Huang.

I am completely stumped by one step that should be simple. My question is about Eq. (5.45). My question is on the last step, which is

[tex] \biggl( |i \rangle^{\dot{b}} ~\langle i-1|_{\dot{a}} ~ - ~ |i-1 \rangle^{\dot{b}} \, \langle i |_{\dot{a}} \biggr) y_i^{\dot{a} a} = \langle i-1, i \rangle \, y_i^{\dot{b}a} [/tex]

I am stumped, conservation of momentum or the Schouten identity does not help here.

I can provide more details with the various quantities here, but probably someone already quite familiar with the notation will be able to help.

Answers and Replies

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Do the authors of the book know how to infer this identity?

nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Do the authors of the book know how to infer this identity?
I assume they do :-) . But even if they don't, it should be provable. The problem is that I don't even see how it is true, let alone how to prove it. If we just pick some values for the indices [itex] a, \dot{b} [/itex], I don't see how the two sides are equal. But they use it in the following to obtain key equations, so I am confused.

nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
If anyone is familiar with the calculation of scattering amplitudes using momentum twistors. I am working through the book "Scattering Amplitudes in Gauge Theory and Gravity" by Elvang and Huang.

I am completely stumped by one step that should be simple. My question is about Eq. (5.45). My question is on the last step, which is

[tex] \biggl( |i \rangle^{\dot{b}} ~\langle i-1|_{\dot{a}} ~ - ~ |i-1 \rangle^{\dot{b}} \, \langle i |_{\dot{a}} \biggr) y_i^{\dot{a} a} = \langle i-1, i \rangle \, y_i^{\dot{b}a} [/tex]

I am stumped, conservation of momentum or the Schouten identity does not help here.

I can provide more details with the various quantities here, but probably someone already quite familiar with the notation will be able to help.
I think I have figured it out. Plugging in specific values for the indices actually gives that the two sides are equal, I was making mistakes with the sign conventions of the epsilon tensor.

And to prove this, one can do the following: Let's consider the expression inside the parenthesis. First, I contract with an arbitrary bra [itex] \langle r |_{\dot{b}} [/itex] on the lhs to get

[tex]
\langle r ,i \rangle ~\langle i-1|_{\dot{a}} ~ - ~ \langle r,i-1 \rangle\, \langle i |_{\dot{a}} [/tex]

Now , after using [itex] \langle r, i \rangle = - \langle i,r \rangle [/itex] and using the Schouten identity, this is

[tex] \langle i-1,i \rangle~ \langle r |_{\dot{a}} [/tex]
Now I write this as

[tex]
\langle i-1,i \rangle~\delta_{\dot{a}}^{ \dot{b}} \, \langle r |_{\dot{b}}
[/tex]
So finally,

[tex]
\biggl( |i \rangle^{\dot{b}} ~\langle i-1|_{\dot{a}} ~ - ~ |i-1 \rangle^{\dot{b}} \, \langle i |_{\dot{a}} \biggr)
= \langle i-1,i \rangle~\delta_{\dot{a}}^{ \dot{b}}
[/tex]

This completes the proof.

Cheers

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I assume they do :-) . But even if they don't, it should be provable. The problem is that I don't even see how it is true, let alone how to prove it. If we just pick some values for the indices [itex] a, \dot{b} [/itex], I don't see how the two sides are equal. But they use it in the following to obtain key equations, so I am confused.
Well mistakes can and will happen...
But happy for you that you found a derivation.

nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Well mistakes can and will happen...
But happy for you that you found a derivation.
I see your point. This is why I had checked that they had used exactly that expression in their following steps to obtain other results.

Cheers!