A rod, a ball, garvitational Potential Energy (U), and the power series expns.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
TFM
Messages
1,016
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Mass of rod: M
mass of ball: m
Length of Rod: L
distance between rod and ball: x
GPE is zero at infinty

The questiopn asks to take the GPE of the rod/ball system, using the Power Series Expansion for ln(1+x) .

Homework Equations



U = -GMm/r

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not quite sure where to start - the Power Series expansion has confused me slightly, as otherwise I wouold hqave just put the variables in the above equation?

TFM :confused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It just means you can approximate ln(1+x) with x, for x << 1.
 
It'll probably appear as you solve the problem. They say to use the power series to make it easier to solve.
 
Do you still use the U=-GMm/r, with U = 0, r = infinty, giving:

0=-GMm/infinity?

TFM
 
I guess you want to integrate over the length of the rod and end up with the integral of
(1/l+1) dl from 0 to L... that should give you ln(x+1)

U= -GmM/L [integral 0 to L (dl /sqrt. of x^2+l^2)] and I guess you can say that the square root of x^2+l^2 is x+C where C is some constant, though this makes no sense I can't think of any other way

btw, the way I got that is by saying dU= -Gm(dM)/r.. then setting dM=dl(M/L) and r=sqrt. (x^2+l^2)
 
Last edited:
take the intergral of 1/r, which is ln(r), setting your limits from infinity to x. Do you know the expansion to ln(r)?
 
from infinity to x? how in the world do you integrate from infinity to x?
 
t-money said:
take the intergral of 1/r, which is ln(r), setting your limits from infinity to x. Do you know the expansion to ln(r)?

Why do I need to take the integral of 1/r?

TFM
 
I'm Still rather cionfused about what I should be doing:frown:

Any Help?

TFM