A.S. in Mechanical Engineering to B.S. in Physics?

In summary, transitioning from one school to another in the field of engineering may be difficult, but with the right classes and preparations, the challenge can be overcome.
zachdr1
How hard would it be to make this transition? It seems to me that the engineering classes I would take in my associates would make a few classes in my bachelors very easy.

Physics news on Phys.org
zachdr1 said:
It seems to me that the engineering classes I would take in my associates would make a few classes in my bachelors very easy.

Why do you think this? It sounds like a potentially dangerous assumption to me.

It's probably best to assume that upper level undergraduate courses in physics are going to be challenging, and require at least as much effort as you've had to put into your current classes.

One challenge you're likely to face in transitioning to a different school (assuming that's the case) and if not from one program to another, is that the curriculum is usually designed for students who start in that specific program. Professors will teach courses assuming that you've covered certain material in their prior classes, and covered it in specific ways. Meeting the prerequisites at another school is generally sufficient for a keen student to fill in the holes as needed, but there WILL be holes to fill in that your peers will not have to deal with. How frequent and how deep those holes are will depend on the degree of overlap between the programs.

Choppy said:
Why do you think this? It sounds like a potentially dangerous assumption to me.

It's probably best to assume that upper level undergraduate courses in physics are going to be challenging, and require at least as much effort as you've had to put into your current classes.

One challenge you're likely to face in transitioning to a different school (assuming that's the case) and if not from one program to another, is that the curriculum is usually designed for students who start in that specific program. Professors will teach courses assuming that you've covered certain material in their prior classes, and covered it in specific ways. Meeting the prerequisites at another school is generally sufficient for a keen student to fill in the holes as needed, but there WILL be holes to fill in that your peers will not have to deal with. How frequent and how deep those holes are will depend on the degree of overlap between the programs.
Well, I will have taken classes dedicated to learning statics, dynamics and thermodynamics. While they won't satisfy any requirements for the B.S. in physics that I would be going for, statics and dynamics are still topics that are gone over in classical mechanics; I'll probably know more about statics and dynamics going into classical mechanics than most students know leaving the class just because I've taken classes dedicated to each topic.

And this is true, but this challenge comes with transferring into any degree at any school. I'm not too worried about it though because it's unavoidable.

1. What is the difference between an A.S. in Mechanical Engineering and a B.S. in Physics?

An A.S. in Mechanical Engineering typically focuses on the practical application of mechanical principles and techniques, while a B.S. in Physics is more theoretical and covers a broader range of topics in physics.

2. Can I transfer credits from my A.S. in Mechanical Engineering to a B.S. in Physics program?

It depends on the specific courses and their compatibility with the B.S. in Physics program. Some courses may transfer, while others may not. It's best to consult with the admissions office of the university you are interested in attending.

3. Will an A.S. in Mechanical Engineering prepare me for a B.S. in Physics program?

While an A.S. in Mechanical Engineering may provide a strong foundation in math and science, it may not cover all the necessary topics for a B.S. in Physics program. It's important to review the curriculum of the B.S. in Physics program you are interested in to see if there are any gaps that need to be filled.

4. Can I pursue a career in physics with an A.S. in Mechanical Engineering?

While some entry-level positions in the field of physics may accept candidates with an A.S. in Mechanical Engineering, most positions in physics require at least a B.S. degree. Additionally, a B.S. in Physics may provide more opportunities for advancement in the field.

5. How long does it typically take to complete an A.S. in Mechanical Engineering and a B.S. in Physics?

The duration of these programs can vary depending on the institution and the student's course load. Generally, an A.S. in Mechanical Engineering takes 2 years to complete, while a B.S. in Physics takes 4 years. However, if a student transfers credits from their A.S. program to their B.S. program, they may be able to complete both degrees in a shorter amount of time.