Tragic Loss: 3 MSU Students Killed in MI Crash

In summary, three Minnesota State University students died when their van - packed with students who had worked since August for an engineering competition this weekend in Detroit- crossed a Michigan freeway median into the path of two oncoming semis. The students, whose identities were not released Tuesday pending notification of relatives, were part of a group of 15 on their way to compete in the Society of Automotive Engineers Formula Series student competition. Many of the 15 picked up their college diplomas Saturday.
hypatia
Three Minnesota State University students died Tuesday when their van - packed with students who have worked since August for an engineering competition this weekend in Detroit- crossed a Michigan freeway median into the path of two oncoming semis.The students, whose identities were not released Tuesday pending notification of relatives, were part of a group of 15 on their way to compete in the Society of Automotive Engineers Formula Series student competition. Many of the 15 picked up their college diplomas Saturday.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7896073/

Today I went to a tree planting in honor of these students, sponsored by all the other teams in the event. About 20 people from MSU came. A few of them will spend the night with me. The accident happened a few weeks back, there past the state of shock, and now the reality is setting in.
Its left me feeling very sad, that such bright lights are now gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My condolensces to you, your colleagues, faculty and students at MSU, and the families of the students.

*Hugs hypatia*

Very sad indeed. :frown:

Very sorry to hear that, Hypatia. Anyone's death is a sad occurrence, but it seems particularly tragic when it's someone with so much to offer and so much to celebrate. My condolences to all involved.

Very sad indeed. My heart goes out to you and everyone involved.

Thanks for the mental hugs, I really needed them.
My son was on one of the Michigan teams, {I know the amount of work that goes into one of these events} and had a few friends on the MSU team. Several are still in the hospital, so my son did a video up-link so they could watch as well.

wow that's terrible

sorry to hear that :frown:

The blame was placed on the trailer they were using to tow the vehicle for the Formula SAE competition. The driver wasn't trained in how to get the trailer out of an oscillating mode. It took them right into the ditch and on the other side.

I always wonder how an accident can happen when I see the words "crossed the median into oncoming traffic" or the like.

Shet, Formula Student guys.

I'll give my mate a heads up, he's supposed to be towing our Formula Student car to London this weekend to get it hooked up with an exhaust.

I never like road accident news :frown:

My heart goes out to your family and your son's school friends, Hypatia. I will remain hopeful that the kids and families find some way to bring something positive out of this tragedy.

As scientists, we will no doubt miss their expected contributions.

1. What caused the crash that led to the tragic loss of 3 MSU students?

The crash was caused by a combination of factors, including speeding, distracted driving, and poor road conditions. According to witnesses and evidence from the scene, the driver was traveling at a high speed and may have been texting while driving. Additionally, the road was wet and slippery due to recent rainfall, making it more difficult to control the vehicle.

2. Were the students wearing seatbelts at the time of the crash?

Yes, all three students were wearing seatbelts at the time of the crash. Seatbelts are an important safety feature in vehicles and can greatly reduce the risk of injury or death in the event of a crash. However, even with seatbelts, the force of the impact in this particular crash was too great to prevent the tragic loss of these students.

3. Has the cause of death for the students been determined?

The cause of death for the students has not been officially determined yet. The crash is still under investigation by authorities, and it may take some time to gather all the necessary evidence and information to determine the exact cause of death. However, it is likely that the cause of death will be determined to be the result of traumatic injuries sustained in the crash.

4. What measures can be taken to prevent similar tragedies from occurring in the future?

There are several measures that can be taken to prevent similar tragedies from occurring in the future. These include stricter laws and enforcement for distracted driving, improving road safety and maintenance, and increasing education and awareness about safe driving practices. It is also important for individuals to take personal responsibility for their actions while driving and to prioritize safety over convenience or distractions.

5. How can the community show support for the families and friends of the students who were killed in the crash?

The community can show support for the families and friends of the students in several ways. This may include attending a memorial service or fundraiser, sending cards or flowers, offering a listening ear or shoulder to cry on, or providing practical support such as meals or rides. It is important to be respectful and understanding of the grieving process and to offer support in whatever ways are most meaningful to the loved ones of the students.

Back