1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A scientist in an aerospace company

1. Jul 30, 2011 #1
    Can a physicist work at an aerospace company?? If yes, which companies offer such jobs?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2011 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure.

Pretty much all of them.

But don't expect that the job will be doing "university-type" research and nothing else.

4. Jul 30, 2011 #3
    I am currently studying an integrated masters in physics course. It is a 5 year course. I am currently in the second year. What should I do to increase my chances of going into aerospace? What should be my area of specialization?

5. Jul 30, 2011 #4
    Look into what kinds of engineering (and with whom) interest you. Find those job postings, and start adding to your toolbox the things they are looking for.

6. Aug 6, 2011 #5
    guys what types of aerospace engeneering are there

7. Aug 6, 2011 #6
    Just make sure that you trust the company that you work for. You don't want to be the 'green guy' on the books if the company does something dishonest and tanks. Research the history of the CEO, CFO, the rest of those guys. If the CFO has a history of fraud allegations... step with caution. (Do this if you have an offer, before then it may be time better spent elsewhere)

8. Aug 6, 2011 #7
    What fields are appropriate for specialization (while pursuing masters in physics) to have a career in the aerospace field?

9. Aug 10, 2011 #8
    I'm interested in this as well. For a lot of aerodynamics stuff it seems like the software has been created already, and firms probably just need regular engineers to use it. I read this on a computational fluids forum for aerospace engineering a while ago.

Anyone have information on what exactly goes on in aerospace firms? I'm curious about this career path.

10. Aug 13, 2011 #9

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Electromagnetics : EMI, radar, antenna engineering

Thermodynamics: propulsion engineering, heat transfer

Optics: sensor systems, materials

Systems Engineering, Operations Analysis....

and many more...

11. Aug 14, 2011 #10
    Interesting. I sort of assumed that they hired all types of engineers. Still, do you also agree with what I said above that? And is there work to do at aerospace firms for computational physicists or applied mathematicians?

12. Aug 14, 2011 #11

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, half of my department when I hired in have advanced degrees in physics and math. My background is in computational physics and I run all sorts of codes and do many types of analysis. You just gotta apply, many of the job postings call out engineering, but they also hire physics and math degrees for the same positions.

13. Aug 15, 2011 #12
    1. What areas should I concentrate on to shape my career in that direction?
    2. Can I apply for internships in universities to learn stuff regarding aerospace engineering, being in an undergraduate physics program?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook