1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple harmonic motion is described by the displacement funtion

1. Sep 5, 2008 #1
    Equation given

u(t) =0.2 cos (wt) + 0.5 sin (wt), where w=3pi rad/s and displacement is in feet.

Describe the same motion using amplitute/phase format.
    Describe the same motion using complex notation
    For t =0.4 sec calculate u

How do you calculate u? and how do you describe the motion using amplitute and phase format based on the equation given?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2008 #2
    you need to show that you've made an effort to solve it yourself.

4. Sep 5, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For goodness, sake, certainly you know what "evaluate a functions" means!

5. Sep 5, 2008 #4
    sorry I am not use to this so I will post my attempt to solve the problem

6. Sep 5, 2008 #5
    I used the equation u(t) = Asin(wt+0)

I solved for displacement first u(t) = 0.5sin(3pi)(.4sec)+ 0

u (t) = 0.0328 and that is the answer for the first question but what I dont understand it that there is a cos cosine in the inital equation. So do I have to solve the cosine too inorder to get inorder to get the displacement or I am okay with this equation u (t) = Asin (wt + 0)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  7. Sep 5, 2008 #6
    If I were to describe the motion I would draw a picture of the sinusoidal wave and let the .5 and .2 graphed together showing waves and then I would say that a b sin wt is always 90degrees ahead of acos wt. But the sum of a cos wt and b sin wt produces a sinusoid of the same frequency....is this is correct

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?