A simple thought experiment | Please confirm

In summary, this thought experiment involves three people in a sealed room with enough oxygen for an experiment. The question posed is whether the other two individuals will be compelled to move if one person takes a step forward due to displacement. The answer is no, as the air in the room will fill the space created by the first person. Additionally, if one person were to enlarge their stomach, the force created would not be enough to overpower the force exerted by the legs of the other two people. The air in the room would simply compress slightly and there would be no noticeable effect on the other occupants.
michonamona
Please excuse my naivete, but this thought experiment has been running through my mind all week.

Suppose you have three people in room. Suppose the room is sealed such that no air can come in and no air can come out. Suppose there's enough oxygen in the room for us to conduct our experiment( what happens to the three individuals after the experiment is irrelevant). Since the room is completely sealed, if one of the three individual takes a step forward, is it the case that the other two will be compelled against their will to move in order to adjust to the displacement created by the first individual?

If not, why?

Thank you,

M

Physics news on Phys.org
michonamona said:
Please excuse my naivete, but this thought experiment has been running through my mind all week.

Suppose you have three people in room. Suppose the room is sealed such that no air can come in and no air can come out. Suppose there's enough oxygen in the room for us to conduct our experiment( what happens to the three individuals after the experiment is irrelevant). Since the room is completely sealed, if one of the three individual takes a step forward, is it the case that the other two will be compelled against their will to move in order to adjust to the displacement created by the first individual?

If not, why?

Thank you,

M

Say what?

The two people won't be compelled to fill in the gap created by the first. Guess why? Because there is air in there, much more quick and much more eager to do the task.
"Ahh! where does the air come from? Didn't I tell the room is sealed."
opps, i forgot to tell but the air comes from the new place occupied by the person A. He leaves vaccancy somewhere but at the same time kicks out air from new place.

Also ponder, what will happen if one of the person enlarges his stomach (without swallowing air), then there is only kicking out, but no vaccancy!

cheers.
(Rest assured that other people won't be compelled, nope.)

thecritic said:
The two people won't be compelled to fill in the gap created by the first. Guess why? Because there is air in there, much more quick and much more eager to do the task.
"Ahh! where does the air come from? Didn't I tell the room is sealed."
opps, i forgot to tell but the air comes from the new place occupied by the person A. He leaves vaccancy somewhere but at the same time kicks out air from new place.

Also ponder, what will happen if one of the person enlarges his stomach (without swallowing air), then there is only kicking out, but no vaccancy!

cheers.
(Rest assured that other people won't be compelled, nope.)

Ah of course...about your second point, my instinct tells me that the other two will feel the pressure created by the enlargement of the stomach of the first person. But they won't move because the force created by the enlargement of the stomach will not over power the force exerted by the leg muscles of the other two people. Any other insights?

The amount of force created in the air is so small compared to the limit of human sensation that you wouldn't feel anything.

Also, as the air is a fluid, it will simply move itself as its displaced. Simply flexing and making your stomach bigger would have no net effect on any of the occupants of the room. It would simply compress the air very slightly.

FAQ: A simple thought experiment | Please confirm

1. What is a simple thought experiment?

A simple thought experiment is a mental exercise that helps to explore a concept or idea by imagining a hypothetical scenario and considering its implications.

2. How do you conduct a simple thought experiment?

To conduct a simple thought experiment, you first need to identify a question or concept that you want to explore. Then, you can create a hypothetical scenario in your mind and think through its possible outcomes and implications.

3. What is the purpose of a simple thought experiment?

The purpose of a simple thought experiment is to help clarify and deepen our understanding of a concept or idea. It can also help to challenge our assumptions and beliefs, and stimulate creative thinking.

4. Can anyone perform a simple thought experiment?

Yes, anyone can perform a simple thought experiment. It does not require any special equipment or resources, just an open mind and willingness to think critically and creatively.

5. How are simple thought experiments used in science?

Simple thought experiments are commonly used in science to explore new ideas, test hypotheses, and challenge existing theories. They can also be used to generate new research questions and guide scientific inquiry.