A Solution to the Grandfather Paradox

• Thread starter RuroumiKenshin
  • Start date
RuroumiKenshin

Originally posted by CJames
Sorry earlier when I said second law of thermodynamics. (See my signature.) What I meant was conservation of energy. Your sudden creation, your appearance from nobody, appears to violate the law of conservation of energy. One second, there is nothing there. The next second, you are there. Where did that energy come from?

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand your point.

Matter is engergy. If you show up in the past, matter is emerging in an area where there previously was no matter. Energy is coming from nowhere. This violates the conservation of energy.

RuroumiKenshin
The matter is not comming from no where. The matter is comming from the future(if you are going to the past). The matter exists in a different space time.

I agree that a multiple universe model avoids time-travel paradoxes. But 'time-travel' becomes impossible (apart from physical limitations) because it would be pretty hard to select the 'correct' past - a past that is exactly like the one you lived through except that you actually existed earlier than you are 'meant' to.

I don't know if anyone responded to this because I'm too lazy to go through and read everyone else's responses right now, but you wouldn't be traveling back in time into a different universe. It would still be 'your' universe that you go back into, but other universes would be created from changes that were made as a result of your trip back in time. You never leave your own universe, but other universes are necessarily created by your trip.

RuroumiKenshin
Well, according to the "Pretzel" universe, in a way, you do "leave" your own universe. When you go back to the past, then just that simple action is changing the past because there'd be 2 of you. The U2 (the one that traveled to the past) would have not existed in the past. So, U2 would have entered a parallel unvirse which has an alternative universe. Wait, would it be an alternative universe?