1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A spherical iron ball covered with ice

1. Oct 27, 2007 #1
    hi everyone this is a related rates question no one in the class could solve it. I could not find how to find the equation that relate all the things in the question.the question is:

A spherical iron ball 8 in. in diameter is coated with a layer of ice of uniform thickness. If the ice melts at the rate of 10 in^3/min, answer the following questions.

(a) How fast is the thickness of the ice decreasing when the ice is 2 in. thick?

(b) How fast is the outer surface area of the ice decreasing?

anyone can help?
    thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2007 #2
    a) The volume of a sphere with respect to the radius is [tex]V=(\frac{4\pi}{3})r^3[/tex]. Solve for [tex]r[/tex] then differentiate with respect to time.
    b) The surface area of a sphere with respect to the radius is [tex]\alpha=4\pi r^2[/tex]. Write the surface area in terms of the volume and again, differentiate with respect to time.

EDIT: I just re-read the problem and the fact that the ice is melting, not the iron-ball, changes the way you should consider the 2 in. thickness of the ball. The radius of the iron-ball (4 in.) should be added to 2 in. ice to find the rate.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  4. Oct 9, 2008 #3
    is the answer for this one 1/14.4 cm/min? ^^
  5. Oct 9, 2008 #4
    a) You must realize that the rate of melting given is not for the iron ball + ice... It is only for the ice. Write a formula for [tex]V_i_c_e[/tex], given the total radius [tex]r_b_a_l_l_+_i_c_e[/tex] is [tex]4 + w[/tex]; when [tex]w[/tex] is the width (thickness) of the ice. Then differentiate with respect to time.
    b) This is a bit more complicated. Again, start with the formula for surface area, [tex]\alpha=4\pi (4 + w)^2[/tex]. Solve for [tex]w[/tex] with respect to [tex]V[/tex], then differentiate with respect to time.

PS. Your answer is [tex]\pi[/tex] times greater than the answer.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  6. Oct 9, 2008 #5
    hmmm. i don't seem to understand ... could you please elaborate a) ? i get the same answer
  7. Oct 9, 2008 #6
    [tex]V_i_c_e = V_e_n_t_i_r_e _b_a_l_l - V_i_r_o_n = \frac{4\pi}{3}(4+w)^3 - \frac{4\pi}{3}(4)^3 = \frac{4\pi}{3}((4+w)^3 - (4)^3)[/tex]

Differentiate with respect to time:
    [tex]\frac{dV_i_c_e}{dt} = \frac{4\pi}{3}(3(4+w)^2\frac{dw}{dt})[/tex]

[tex]-10 = \frac{4\pi}{3}(3(4+2)^2\frac{dw}{dt})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dw}{dt} = -\frac{5}{72\pi} = -\frac{1}{45.2389342} = -0.0221048532\frac{m}{s}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?