A spherical raindrops evaporates at rate proportional to surface area?

In summary, The problem involves finding V(t) and using differential equations to solve it. After simplifying to a spherical shape, the equation V' = kA is obtained. In order to solve for V(t), the chain rule is used and the resulting equation is 4∏r^2r' = k4∏r^2, which simplifies to r' = k. The answer to the problem is V'=kV^(2/3), which can be solved using separation of variables and integration.
kochibacha
i want to find V(t)
At first i found this problem was very simple but when i try to write differential equations i ended up with these

V' = kA that's for sure

then i confined the problem only to spherical shape and no other shapes of raindrops involved

as i can't express A in term of V alone( surface area of sphere = 4∏r2, volume of sphere is 4/3∏r3 ) then i have to

use chain rule, dV/dt= dVdrdrdt substitute dV/dt from

V'=k4∏r2

i get

4∏r2r'= K4∏r2

r'=k

r = kt+c
r3 = (kt+c)3
4∏r3/3 = (kt+c)34∏/r=V(t)
im i correct? the answer to this problem is V'=kV2/3 I am not sure how they transform Area to variable V alone

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kochibacha said:
At first i found this problem was very simple but when i try to write differential equations i ended up with these

V' = kA that's for sure

then i confined the problem only to spherical shape and no other shapes of raindrops involved

as i can't express A in term of V alone( surface area of sphere = 4∏r2, volume of sphere is 4/3∏r3 ) then i have to

use chain rule, dV/dt= dVdrdrdt substitute dV/dt from

V'=k4∏r2

i get

4∏r2r'= K4∏r2

r'=k

im i correct? the answer to this problem is v'=kV2/3 I am not sure how they transform Area to variable V alone

[tex]
\left(\frac{3V}{4\pi}\right)^{1/3} = r.
[/tex] Now substitute this into [itex]A = 4\pi r^2[/itex].

pasmith said:
[tex]
\left(\frac{3V}{4\pi}\right)^{1/3} = r.
[/tex] Now substitute this into [itex]A = 4\pi r^2[/itex].

then how can u solve for V(t) ?

kochibacha said:
then how can u solve for V(t) ?

The ODE [tex]
V' = CV^{2/3}
[/tex] for constant [itex]C[/itex] is separable. Divide both sides by [itex]V^{2/3}[/itex] and then integrate with respect to [itex]t[/itex].

pasmith said:
The ODE [tex]
V' = CV^{2/3}
[/tex] for constant [itex]C[/itex] is separable. Divide both sides by [itex]V^{2/3}[/itex] and then integrate with respect to [itex]t[/itex].

i mean how they derive for v'=cv^2/3

1. What is the definition of a spherical raindrop?

A spherical raindrop is a drop of water that has taken on a round shape due to surface tension. This shape is caused by the cohesive forces between water molecules.

2. How does a spherical raindrop evaporate?

A spherical raindrop evaporates when the water molecules at its surface gain enough energy to break free from the cohesive forces holding them together. These molecules then rise into the air as water vapor.

3. What does it mean for the evaporation rate to be proportional to surface area?

This means that the larger the surface area of the raindrop, the faster it will evaporate. This is because a larger surface area allows for more water molecules to be exposed to the air, increasing the chances of evaporation.

4. Why does the rate of evaporation decrease as a spherical raindrop shrinks?

As a spherical raindrop shrinks, its surface area decreases, resulting in fewer water molecules being exposed to the air. This decreases the chances of evaporation and leads to a decrease in the evaporation rate.

5. How does the rate of evaporation of a spherical raindrop compare to other shapes?

The rate of evaporation of a spherical raindrop is generally slower than other shapes, such as flat or elongated drops. This is because a spherical raindrop has a smaller surface area compared to other shapes of the same volume, resulting in fewer water molecules being exposed to the air.