1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A straight forward question on variances

1. Jun 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

suppose you have the following function:

w=a+b(e+z)

a, b and e are constants and z is a random variable distributed by some density function g(z).

What is the variance of w?

i.e. var(w)

2. Relevant equations

Suppose E(z) = 0 (expectation of z is 0) and var(z)=[tex]\sigma^{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The solution is var(w)= [tex]b^{2} \sigma^{2}[/tex], but I don't understand why. I appreciate your input.

M

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2010 #2
    Two facts. First, the variance of a constant plus a random variable is equal to the variance of the random variable. This makes sense if you think of variance as a measure of spread, since adding a constant to every observation doesn't change the spread. Second, the variance of a constant times a random variable is equal to the constant squared times the variance of the random variable. That is, if x is your random variable, var(ax) = a2var(x). Do you understand how the answer follows?

4. Jun 10, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Let's use caps for random variables to help keep them separate from constants.
    From the given information,
    E(Z) = 0 and Var(Z) = [itex]\sigma^2[/itex]

Also, by definition, Var(Z) = E(Z2) - [itex]\mu^2[/itex].
    Since E(Z) = [itex]\mu[/itex] = 0, then Var(Z) = E(Z2).

You're also given that W = a + b(Z + e). Using the properties of expectation, it can be seen that E(W) = a + bE(Z) + be = a + be, since E(Z) = 0.

With all that out of the way, we can tackle Var(W).

Var(W) = E(W2) - (E(W))2.

If you replace W with a + b(Z + e) in the first term on the right, and work things through, you get the result you're supposed to get.

5. Jun 10, 2010 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

If X is a random variable and [itex] Y = c + dX [/itex], then

[tex]
    Vary(Y) = d^2 Var(X)
    [/tex]

6. Jun 10, 2010 #5
    Thanks guys! I appreciate your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook