Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A strange derivative-integral discrepancy

1. Dec 4, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    I have just encountered a strange (for me) inconsistency with a derivative: If I take the x derivative of ##\frac{x}{x+a}## I get ##\frac{x+a-x}{(x+a)^2} = \frac{a}{(x+a)^2}##. However, when I take the integral of the latter I get: ##-\frac{a}{x+a} (+constant) ≠ \frac{x}{x+a}##. I have checked the above (simple) calculations with Mathematica to make sure I didn't make any mistake with formulas/arithmetic. Maybe I forget some principle but how is it possible to integrate the derivative of a function and get something else than the function itself back?
    Appreciate any help on this.
    Just for the record, I have attached a screenshot of Mathematica.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2014 #2
    very odd.
    i used maxima (freeware mathematica):
    integrate(a/(a^2+x^2+2*a*x),x)
    and got -a/(x+a) like youre saying

then i tried realcalc (a phone app with a symbolic integration feature) and i got x/(a+x)
    obviously realcalc is right, i dont understand why a phone app would beat 2 computer algebra systems though. !!!

4. Dec 4, 2014 #3

MarneMath

Education Advisor

Let the constant of integration be 1. Then it's exactly the same.

5. Dec 4, 2014 #4
    Ah that's it - thanks. Interesting though how tricky these things can be.

Maybe the app is programmed so that the integral of a derivative of anything would give the same thing back. As for the computer programs - they obviously neglected the constant of integration and took it to be 0.
    I wonder if all this operations of common denominator are legal given how they sneakily change the appearance of the function...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook