A student's confusion over Student's t-test values

In summary, the conversation is about independent t-tests and how to determine the critical value when the degrees of freedom (df) is not listed on the Student's t distribution table. The solution is to interpolate between the closest listed df values. The second question is about negative t-values and how they can occur when the statistic is less than the hypothesis, and it is not necessarily an error.
anisotropic
Hello,

I've been working on this assignment for the past while, having to do with independent t-tests and the like. I have two major questions that I can't wrap my head around:

- When looking at the critical values of Student's t distribution table, what do you use as a critical value if your df value is not listed specifically? Say you need to know the critical value for a df of 120, but it only has the critical values for a df of 100 and a df of 140...
- On one of the [computer generated] analyses, I keep getting negative values for the t-value (-5.xxxx). I have no clue what this means. How is a negative number significant? Is it an error I've made?

Physics news on Phys.org
- Interpolate between 100 and 140.
- the numerator for the t value is = (statistic - hypothesis). If statistic < hypothesis then t < 0.

Last edited:

Thank you for reaching out with your questions. It's completely understandable to feel confused about Student's t-test values, as it can be a complex topic to grasp. Let me try to explain and clarify your concerns.

Firstly, when looking at a Student's t distribution table, the critical values listed are for specific degrees of freedom (df) values. Degrees of freedom refer to the number of values in a sample that are free to vary. In your example, if you need the critical value for a df of 120, you can use the critical value listed for a df of 100 and a df of 140 and interpolate between them. You can also use a statistical software or calculator to calculate the exact critical value for a specific df value.

Secondly, a negative t-value means that the sample mean is lower than the population mean. This can happen if the sample is significantly different from the population, or if there is an error in the data. It is important to check your data and calculations to ensure accuracy and to interpret the results correctly.

I hope this helps to clear up your confusion. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. It's always better to seek clarification and fully understand the concepts rather than just memorizing formulas and numbers. Keep up the good work with your assignment!

1. What is a Student's t-test?

A Student's t-test is a statistical method used to determine whether there is a significant difference between the means of two groups. It is commonly used in scientific research to analyze the results of experiments.

2. How do you interpret the t-test values?

The t-test values include the t-statistic and the p-value. The t-statistic represents the difference between the means of the two groups, while the p-value indicates the probability of obtaining the observed results by chance. A lower p-value indicates a higher level of significance, with a p-value of 0.05 or less being considered statistically significant.

3. What causes confusion in interpreting t-test values?

One common source of confusion is understanding the relationship between the t-statistic and the p-value. Another factor can be not fully understanding the assumptions and limitations of the t-test, such as the normality of the data and the equal variances of the two groups.

4. How can I know if the t-test results are reliable?

The reliability of t-test results depends on several factors, including the sample size, the variability of the data, and the assumptions being met. It is important to carefully consider these factors before drawing conclusions from the t-test results.

5. Can t-test values be used for non-numerical data?

No, t-test values are only applicable for numerical data. For non-numerical data, other statistical tests such as chi-square or ANOVA should be used.