1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A student's confusion over Student's t-test values

1. Oct 16, 2005 #1
    Hello,

I've been working on this assignment for the past while, having to do with independent t-tests and the like. I have two major questions that I can't wrap my head around:

- When looking at the critical values of Student's t distribution table, what do you use as a critical value if your df value is not listed specifically? Say you need to know the critical value for a df of 120, but it only has the critical values for a df of 100 and a df of 140...
    - On one of the [computer generated] analyses, I keep getting negative values for the t-value (-5.xxxx). I have no clue what this means. How is a negative number significant? Is it an error I've made?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

- Interpolate between 100 and 140.
    - the numerator for the t value is = (statistic - hypothesis). If statistic < hypothesis then t < 0.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?