The Explosion of a Vessel and Velocity of its Pieces

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving a vessel that explodes into three pieces. The first two pieces have equal mass and fly off at the same speed, while the third piece has three times the mass. The question is asking for the magnitude and direction of the third piece's velocity immediately after the explosion. The concept of potential energy is brought up, but it is determined that it is not relevant to the problem. The conservation laws of energy and momentum are discussed as a way to solve the question. At first, there is confusion about whether the initial kinetic energy is zero, but it is later clarified that it is not. The conversation ends with someone figuring out how to solve the question.
Rave Grrl
I need some help on how to solve this question, I don't really know how to do this at all.

A vessel at rest explodes, breaking into three pieces. Two pieces having equal mass, fly off perpendicular to one another with the same speed of 30 m/s. The third piece has three times the mass of each other piece. What are the magnitude and direction of it's velocity immediately after the explosion?

I was told that the sum of the potential energy has to equal the final kinetic energy, but isn't there no potential energy at the beginning? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to know anything about the potential energy. Whatever chemical potential energy there was has been expended (the problem states immediately after the explosion) so all you have to concern yourself with is the initial kinetic energy and momentum of the fragments and, of course, both of those quantities will be conserved.

So the sum of the energy and momentum has to equal zero? Since the initial kinetic energy was zero?

Rave Grrl said:
So the sum of the energy and momentum has to equal zero? Since the initial kinetic energy was zero?

In the initial situation,the KE of the body was zero.The momentum of the body was zero.

Hopefully u can project the momentum conservation law on the 2/3 axes of coordinates and with use of the KE conservation law,u can find your answers.

Daniel.

EDIT:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPSSSSSSSSSSSS!The KE cannot be zero in the initial case,since it would be zero at the end,too,therefore it would be no moving around...
I'm an idiot!
:yuck:

Last edited:
The initial kinetic energy is NOT zero! However, the momentum vector is.

The Kinetic Energy will increase as you can see... the initial energy is 0. It probably has chemical potential energy but that's not relevant. MOMENTUM IS CONSERVED. Which means that:

[tex]
m_1v_1' + m_2v_2' + m_3v_3' = 0
[/tex]

When I try to solve for V3 in that equation I keep getting the square root of a negative number...

nevermind I figured it out

1. What is a system of particles?

A system of particles is a collection of multiple particles that interact with each other through forces.

2. What are some examples of systems of particles?

Some examples of systems of particles include atoms in a gas, planets in a solar system, and molecules in a liquid.

3. How are the particles in a system related to each other?

The particles in a system are related to each other through forces, such as gravitational or electromagnetic forces.

4. What is the difference between an open and closed system of particles?

An open system of particles allows for the exchange of energy and matter with its surroundings, while a closed system does not.

5. Why is studying systems of particles important?

Studying systems of particles allows us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as the movement of planets or the properties of materials.