A technical question about the amplituhedron

• A
  • Thread starter nrqed
  • Start date
In summary, the parameter ##k## in the equation ##Y = C Z^T ## represents the R-charge of the ##SU(4)## symmetry of the amplitude, which physically corresponds to the number of negative helicity gluons. However, the authors later redefine this label as ##k \equiv K = k-2##, making the 4 particle case with ##n=4## and ##k=0## the only non-trivial amplitude to consider. Further clarification can be found in the "Into the Amplituhedron" paper and the Grassmannian Wikipedia page.
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
One of the ways to introduce the amplituhedron is through the equation ##Y = C Z^T ## where ## Z \in M^+(k+m,n)##, ##C \in Gr_{\leq 0} (k,n)##, ##Y \in Gr(k,k+m)##.

I am trying to understand what the parameter ##k## represents. For a while, I thought that this ##k## was counting the number of particles with negative helicities but that it seems to be incorrect. Can someone help? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you. Yes, Gr is for Grassmannian. I know the math,my questions is about how the value ##k## is related to the number of negative helicity particles in the amplitude.
Thanks for your feedback.

nrqed said:
I am trying to understand what the parameter ##k## represents
Originally, ##k## is the R-charge of the ##SU(4)## symmetry of the amplitude, so physically it represents the number of negative helicity gluons. Note, however, that the authors later (already in "Into the Amplituhedron" paper, for example) redefine this label according to ##k \equiv K = k-2##. This is why the 4 particle case they consider corresponds to ##n=4##, ##k=0## (and an arbitrary number of loops ##L##). Here ##k## is the new ##k##, i.e. the number of negative helicity gluons minus two. For ##n=4## this is the only non-trivial amplitude to consider since all the other helicity assignments correspond to amplitudes with vanishing kinematical support.

Last edited by a moderator: