A third year physics university student

In summary, at university, people tend to learn things either by reading books or by attending lectures. However, people who do well at university often put in a lot of extra work studying and re-performing derivations and proofs.
thegirl
Hi
I don't really know how I got to third year but I'm here and I'm a bit disappointed in the fact that I've learned stuff but at the same time feel like I haven't really learned much.

I would love going through books and reading in depth about what my lecturers are teaching me, like I like looking at proofs and seeing all the nitty gritty things but I've found at university there isn't really much time for that.

Anyone else at university feel the same way? Any people who do learn things from books and go lectures and study and complete your problem classes...how do you do it?

Any general advice on how to do well would be really appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's funny, I'm in my last semester (4th year) and feel the same way. I've spent the last 4 years learning things but still feel like I just walked out of high school.

One thing I recommend is doing research. The rate at which you learn new things in classes is nothing comparable to the rate at which you learn new things doing research.

Yes, in the past I've felt as if there's so much course material to cover in some classes I've taken that more "abstract" learning objectives like knowledge of full derivations and proofs are brushed aside for a more operational knowledge of the subject (at least, this is my experience in undergrad engineering). I found myself having to put aside a lot of extra time during both my semesters and vacations reviewing and re-performing derivations myself until I understood the inner workings of the concepts and equations we were using. I feel as if this prejudice towards operational knowledge over conceptual understanding comes with the territory of having a lot of ground to cover in a relatively short period of time, as is the case with many STEM majors.

However, a graduate program will likely provide the rigor that you seek. In many graduate classes, there is a heavier emphasis on proofs and derivations, and often times, an expectation that by the end of the course you have a full understanding of them. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

What is the average workload like for a third year physics university student?

The average workload for a third year physics university student can vary depending on the specific courses and university. However, it is generally expected that students will spend around 15-20 hours per week attending lectures and tutorials, and an additional 10-15 hours studying and completing assignments outside of class.

What are some common courses that a third year physics university student takes?

Some common courses for a third year physics university student include advanced mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. Depending on their specific interests, students may also take courses in astronomy, astrophysics, or particle physics.

What skills do third year physics university students develop?

Third year physics university students develop a variety of skills, including problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, and mathematical modeling. They also gain hands-on experience with laboratory equipment and computer programs used for data analysis and simulation.

What career paths are available for third year physics university students?

Third year physics university students have a wide range of career options available to them. Some common paths include working in research and development for government agencies or private companies, teaching at the high school or college level, or pursuing graduate studies in physics or a related field.

What advice do you have for a third year physics university student?

My advice for a third year physics university student is to stay organized, manage your time effectively, and seek help when needed. It is also important to stay engaged and ask questions in class, as well as to pursue internships or research opportunities to gain hands-on experience in your field of interest. Lastly, don't forget to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.