1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A vector identity and surface integral

1. Dec 23, 2005 #1
    Hi, can someone give me some assistance with the following questions?

1. Let f(x,y,z), g(x,y,z) and h(x,y,z) be any C^2 scalar functions. Prove that [tex]\nabla \bullet \left( {f\nabla g \times \nabla h} \right) = \nabla f \bullet \left( {\nabla g \times \nabla h} \right)[/tex] .

2. Let S be the part of the ellipsoid 2x^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 = 5 for z <=0 and [tex]\mathop F\limits^ \to = \left( {e^{y + z} + 3y,xe^{y + z} ,\cos \left( {xyz} \right) + z^3 } \right)[/tex] .

Evaluate [tex]\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_S^{} {\left( {\nabla \times \mathop F\limits^ \to } \right)} \bullet d\mathop S\limits^ \to } [/tex].

(Use the normal to the surface pointing downwards.)

My working:

1. I will use [tex]
    \nabla \bullet \left( {\mathop A\limits^ \to \times \mathop B\limits^ \to } \right) = \mathop B\limits^ \to \bullet \left( {\nabla \times \mathop A\limits^ \to } \right) - \mathop A\limits^ \to \left( {\nabla \times \mathop B\limits^ \to } \right)
    [/tex] and [tex]\nabla \times \left( {f\mathop F\limits^ \to } \right) = f\nabla \times \mathop F\limits^ \to + \nabla f \times \mathop F\limits^ \to [/tex].

[tex]
    \nabla \bullet \left( {f\nabla g \times \nabla h} \right)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    = \nabla h \bullet \left( {\nabla \times f\nabla g} \right) - f\nabla g \bullet \left( {\nabla \times \nabla h} \right)
    [/tex]...from the identies above .The second bracket is zero since curl(grad(h)) = 0 vector.

[tex]
    = \nabla h \bullet \left( {\nabla \times f\nabla g} \right)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    = \nabla h \bullet \left( {f\nabla \times \nabla g + \nabla f \times \nabla g} \right)
    [/tex]...using identities listed above

[tex]
    = \nabla h \bullet \left( {\nabla f \times \nabla g} \right)
    [/tex] since curl(grad(g)) = 0 vector.

This is as far as I get in the first question.

For the surface integral I calculated [tex]\nabla \times \mathop F\limits^ \to = \left( { - xz\sin \left( {xyz} \right) - xe^{y + z} ,e^{y + z} + yz\sin \left( {xyz} \right), - 3} \right)[/tex].

I would normally parameterise the surface to find a normal to the surface. I'm not sure how to that or if I need to do that in this question.

Any help would be good thanks.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2005 #2
    For question #2 have you learned Stokes's theorem yet, that might help.

4. Dec 23, 2005 #3

StatusX

Homework Helper

For the first one, there is the vector identity:

[tex]\vec A \cdot (\vec B \times \vec C) = \vec B \cdot (\vec C \times \vec A) =\vec C \cdot (\vec A \times \vec B) [/tex]

This operation is called the triple product. For the second, use Stoke's theorem to turn the surface integral into a contour integral.

5. Dec 24, 2005 #4
    Thanks for the help guys.

The thing is, Stokes' theorem was what I thought about using but the question says something about using a normal so I figured that I need to evaluate it as a surface integral. In any case if I was to use Stoke's theorem, I would need to parameterise an ellipse. Perhaps x = acos(t) and y = bsin(t) where a and b are suitable constants? But if sub those into my expression for curl(F) it looks like it'll get quite messy even with z = 0 getting rid of the trig functions.

6. Dec 24, 2005 #5
    But you wouldn't put them into curl(F) you would plug them into F because stokes' theorm says that the line integral of F dotted with dr is the same as the surface integral of curl(F) blah blah blah.

7. Dec 24, 2005 #6
    Oh ok...I forgot about that.:redface:

8. Dec 24, 2005 #7
    It's worth noting that this identity is a little trickier when you start throwing [tex]\nabla[/tex] into the mix. However, there is an identity like it that you might find useful.

9. Dec 25, 2005 #8
    When you 'del' a scalar function you get a vector so it seems reasonable to suggest that it works. However, I haven't seen/(can't recall) any complete derivations of the cross product so I'm not sure if it matters if the vector has variable components.

10. Dec 25, 2005 #9
    The problem is that del is a differential operator, a one-form, not a vector in the traditional sense, so there's an issue with ordering and such. For instance, what is [tex]\mathbf{b} \cdot (\mathbf{c} \times \nabla)[/tex]

11. Dec 25, 2005 #10

StatusX

Homework Helper

That's true, but I was referring to:

[tex]\nabla f \cdot (\nabla g \times \nabla h )[/tex]

as it appears in his problem, and these are all vectors.

12. Dec 25, 2005 #11
    Well first apply cyclic permutation to get the nabla out of the brackets. Then nabla must work on both b and c, so you will get a sum of two parts. The clue always is to write this formula in a sum of terms in which each nabla operates on ONE vector using the vector identities in the first post of this thread.

Ofcourse it can happen that you have this
    [tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{b}[/tex]

or

[tex]\vec{b} \cdot \nabla[/tex]

The first formula is easy, right ? Just calculate the dot product and you will get a scalar.

The second formula actually defines a new scalar operator

regards
    marlon

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?